Checklist: Larry Jordan's FCPX Seminar tomorrow, July 12 in Burbank

Posted by joeboo20 
Checklist: Larry Jordan's FCPX Seminar tomorrow, July 12 in Burbank
July 11, 2011 03:47PM
Will anyone here be in attendance for tomorrow's seminar on FCPX with Larry Jordan? A great way to not only learn FCPX, but also see what direction 3rd party vendors will be going that are in attendance.

[www.larryjordan.biz]
Re: Checklist: Larry Jordan's FCPX Seminar tomorrow, July 12 in Burbank
July 11, 2011 05:20PM
Wish I was but alas am in KC. Urge those who live in SoCal to go though. Still time to register. As for third parties, they seem to be all jumping on the FCPX bandwagon.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 11, 2011 05:42PM
I'll be heading over to this in NYC on Thursday. Probably lots of sales pitch in there but that may make it all the more interesting. I'd like to hear Evan Schechtman, who runs a facility, explain how FCPX as the future.
[www.tekserve.com]
July 11, 2011 09:36PM
I'm looking forward to the event.
July 13, 2011 11:13AM
I'm going to the Avid, "Committed to Professionals." thing at Warner Bros.
July 13, 2011 01:29PM
I was there; great seminar from Larry, good to hear his honest opinion on the software.

There are some really cool features in X and great improvements in speed and productivity. But the new workflow is pretty intimidating (NO TRACKS??), and I think we are all in agreement that Apple really botched the launch!

JVK

July 14, 2011 03:25PM
John,

agreed. it was an informative event and Larry is a great teacher!

Ethan,

How was the AVID event?
July 17, 2011 12:20PM
So where's the gossip stuff? Did Larry say anything illuminating that he hasn't said on his blog.

I'm curious why trackless is intimidating. This is a worthwhile discussion. Secondary Storylines provide most of the features of a track but there are some things missing. Otherwise I can pile on things like I've always done and have the choices between a simple connected clip and a secondary storyline depending on the relationships I'm looking for.
July 17, 2011 07:30PM
Trackless audio is a deal breaker. We need to deliver certain parts of the audio on certain tracks.

Also, you can't delete anything on the main storyline without deleting everything on levels connected to it - only replace that media, and if you want to add cross dissolves without having to drag the little handles with your mouse, you have to make each line a storyline of its own, which seems to be a pointless extra step.

July 17, 2011 07:36PM
We need to deliver certain parts of the audio on certain tracks.

[www.apple.com]

Does Final Cut Pro X allow you to assign audio tracks for export?
Not yet. An update this summer will allow you to use metadata tags to categorize your audio clips by type and export them directly from Final Cut Pro X.

Also, you can't delete anything on the main storyline without deleting everything on levels connected to it

Delete key below the Fn key on my keyboard works fine. Deletes the clip and leaves everything above it intact.
What you're seeing is the Delete key that would be the backspace key. The two Delete keys work differently.
July 17, 2011 07:49PM
He asked why trackless was intimidating. I'm providing that info. Right now, it's a deal breaker. That's why we don't like it.

And we already had the discussion about needing a gap filler or another piece of media. You can't just delete something without adding something else, or you lose all the connected clips, which I said with 'only replace media'.

July 17, 2011 09:20PM
What about the macs without the delete key beneath the Fn key?

Somethings are easier done with tracks. So I hope they bring it back. I'm hearing lots of workarounds to it. A friend was talking about using fillers to separate audio tracks. Pretty workaroundy, if you ask me. I can live with clip collisions. Never had a problem with it.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 17, 2011 09:49PM
I don't think any pro editors really had trouble with a lot of the things FCPX tries to nanny you around, but, then, this is not FCP. It's a public beta of a new program, not version ten of Final Cut.

And it's not designed for us - it's designed for the prosumer market, who have always had trouble with things like media management, edit handles and clip collisions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics