Past and future features hidden within your copy of FCP X

Posted by Alex4D 
Past and future features hidden within your copy of FCP X
July 18, 2011 01:23PM
I'm writing a series of blog posts about the images and text within version 10.0 that are not visible during every day use.

I refer to past as well as future hidden features, because I have no way of knowing if these images and text are associated with planned improvements or ideas that were a dead end during development (although the text has got to the stage where it has been left in this version and translated into German, French and Japanese).

1. Media and subtypes
In file named "MediaAndSubTypes.strings" there is a list of codecs and media types that is very long. The list includes Subtitle, Sprite, Quartz Composer and Timed Metadata.

2. Some of Motion inside
It looks like the way FCP X implements effects is to have most of the Motion engine built inside. In a file that defines tool tips for on screen controls alongside references to the Ken Burns effect and the Final Cut crop methods, there are tool tips for creating and editing Rotoshapes and 3D camera navigation.

3. XML & multi-user editing
When importing XML are references to importing FCP markers and effects. If Apple do implement multi-user editing in a future version, it is likely that they will refer to a timeline, storyline or track as having a 'Guard' on it - which indicates that someone else is working on that element.

Hope you find this interesting.

I'm writing at least one more of these.

Alex

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
Re: Past and future features hidden within your copy of FCP X
July 18, 2011 02:02PM
Great stuff Alex. Dont understand a word of it, but I am sure its invaluable to others who do.

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 18, 2011 02:49PM
Interesting. That restores some faith in the software. I hope they weren't past features, because FCP X needs to break out of its cocoon (it's own little world) and be able to collaborate with other platforms.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 19, 2011 12:52PM
I've added another part to this series:

4. Windows, Tools & Audio
There is text within FCP 10.0 that refers to the ability to change and save window layouts, more advanced graphics tools and the ability to do the same with audio effects as Motion does for video effects. You can combine multiple Logic plug-ins into a single effect, add presets and controls. You're also able to have up to 12 audio tracks per individual video clip.

Maybe there'll be some more bits and bobs rounded up later in the week.

Alex

July 19, 2011 02:36PM
Interesting. The layout in FCP X seems almost cast in stone. Totally not I how I lay out my windows even in a single screen environment.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 20, 2011 04:07AM
Great articles Alex, warms the cockles of my nerdy little heart mate :-) Of course, its possible that some of these strings etc could just have been placeholders from earlier build mockups that have simply been left orphaned in the app, but I'm certainly hoping they're indicative of features that were just not quite ready for the 1.0 (sorry, 10.0) release.
July 20, 2011 05:12PM
The thing that gives me some hope is that the same text has been translated into different languages.

For example here's the prompt about guards in the four FCP X built-in languages:

July 21, 2011 05:11AM
May I ask what a guard is in that context ?
July 21, 2011 06:44AM
FCP X in a multi-user environment. Think SAN.
July 23, 2011 11:19AM
Aha, now that is interesting.
July 23, 2011 11:33AM
At the next lafcpug meet we will be showing of how you can use FCP-X in a shared enviroment. But to be honest, its currently a bit kludgy from what I can tell. Steve Kanter will show off.

Michael Horton
-------------------
July 23, 2011 12:12PM
This blog is about someone cutting a broadcast doc on FCPX. There's a few things related to "shared" more or less.

How to take parts of a Project (aka Event) with you, edit mobile and come back.
[fcpxmegatest.blogspot.com]

The race starts, we have the first setback with FCPX

Day minus 1, setting up the project - merging logged events

It's worth reading through from the beginning because they do learn things along the way (both good and bad).
July 23, 2011 12:17PM
Well, Lion server was introduced for 50 bucks. And the normal Lion comes with an XSAN client.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics