Split screen effects

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
Split screen effects
July 24, 2011 04:21PM
I have an editing project coming up and wondering if I should switch to fcpx for it. It will entail a lot of footage from different sources, which is why I think it may be a good project for fcp x...But the client also wants lots of "effects', namely split screen type stuff -- Like the CrumplePop Style. Is there anything built in, or fcp x plugins out there that is good for this type of effect?

THoughts?
Re: Split screen effects
July 24, 2011 05:23PM
In addition to the old fashioned put one clip on top of another, there's folks coming up with oodles of effects with Motion.
The nifty thing about FCPX Motion interaction is that one can now create FX in Motion that can get "published" to FCPX such that the editor has certain parameter controls. Key is learning how to do Rigging and Publishing in Motion 5 and you can roll your own.

The list below is not complete by any means. It seems the dreaded COW is a hotbed for people creating these things so there's stuff there not on this list.

On FCP.co where you'll find Alex4D who visits this forum.
[www.fcp.co]

On the evil COW
Simon Ubsdell
[my.creativecow.net]
Brendan Gibbons
[my.creativecow.net]

The two topmost effects at Crumplepop are FCPX
[www.crumplepop.com]

Noise Industries
[www.noiseindustries.com]
Specific to FCPX
[www.noiseindustries.com]
Note list of additional effects by "partner" at the bottom of the page.

GenArts Saphire Edge in beta testing for FCPX
[www.genarts.com]

CHV has FXPlug and Quartz Composer FX for FCPX
[www.chv-plugins.com]
[www.chv-plugins.com]

FCP Effects. These people are just getting started so it seems
[www.fcpeffects.com]
July 24, 2011 11:29PM
If you were talking about this stuff:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1XIyW9s4M8

That is ridiculously easy to do in FCP/PS/AE , and you get a lot more control doing it that way, and I'm not even an effects heavy editor, but I hate stock templates, because they look all the same after a while. For that stuff, you don't even need AE. You can easily draw up shapes and map textures to it in photoshop. If you want that stuff moving, you can do it in AE and the simpler stuff in the NLE. Or do it in Motion. Last time i did a PIP cut, i had a graphics guy do the overlays and the effects while i worked on the cut. I don't remember doing much resizing or PIP when I tried using FCP X, but I don't remember liking it very much. I may have missed some obvious buttons to enable keyframes, though.

The advantage of FCP X on a beefed up machine is that it is much fast than in FCP 7, which had a pretty slow renderer and in 32 bit carbon, it couldn't make use of the machine like FCP X can. I did get FCP X to crash twice in a row when I did something ridiculously simple like drop a text generator over a grey generator, but I tried it again recently over the same sequence, and it didn't, so a bit of a mystery there, but it could be that the RAM was used up or FCP may have been running a background process and didn't clear the RAM cache in time (don't you like automation?)

www.strypesinpost.com
July 25, 2011 02:34AM
Add CGM Plugins as well
[www.cgm-online.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics