Can't save a FCP X Event to my CalDigit VR

Posted by Russ Blaise 
Can't save a FCP X Event to my CalDigit VR
August 03, 2011 04:31PM
One of the thing you don't find out until you bought and paid for something. When I go to import files, and create a new Event, My CalDigit VR does not show up as one of the drives to save to. Now I can however import files FROM my CalDigit VR. Weird!

Has anybody seen or heard of this problem yet? I know it might be too early in the game for problems like this to start being posted everywhere.
Re: Can't save a FCP X Event to my CalDigit VR
August 03, 2011 05:24PM
Is the drive formatted as Mac OS Extended?

Also, I have heard of issues where certain folder names on the root of the drive such as "private" or "backup" can cause the drive to be hidden.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 03, 2011 05:26PM
Have you tried simply opening an OS window and then dragging the drive back into the sidebar?

www.derekmok.com
August 03, 2011 05:41PM
Yes, it is Mac OS Extended.

CalDigit VR shows up in the side bar when you import. So you can import files from the CalDigit VR. You just can't save an Event to the CalDigit VR. I was unable to do any dragging of the drive back into the sidebar.
August 03, 2011 05:53PM
Here is a screen shot in the import window where you also set your drive when yo make a new Event:

August 03, 2011 07:23PM
Check this craziness out: When I first boot FCP X, in the Event Library window, you can see the CalDigit drive show up. But it only stays there for about 2 seconds. Then it's gone. Look at the split images. I had to be fast with the mouse to capture it.

August 03, 2011 07:27PM
I emailed CalDigit and here is what they had to say:

Dear customer,

Thank you for your report. Our engineer team look into this matter.

In the meantime, can you check the followings:

1. run the same test with the Firewire 800 connection?
- Maybe a problem with the eSATA connection

2. check the permission
- maybe it's under READ Only
- Check the VR startup LCD messages too (our VR has built in READ Only feature as well). If the startup message said: "READ Only: ON", please turn it off in 'MISC configs'. If it said "Full Access: ON", then it's OK.
- check the directory table (volume structure) under the Disk Utility's first aid. If the directory table is corrupted, the OS may 'lock up' the drive from any further modification (similar to READ only).

3. Any special file format used?
- like exFAT, or NTFS (via Paragon) etc...
- If so, please transfer the data and format the volume under Disk Utility.

Best regards,

CalDigit - Support

I went through their check list and everything is good.
August 03, 2011 07:52PM
Is it this?
[discussions.apple.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 03, 2011 07:54PM
I'm just gonna take a punt here and wonder about the locked folder on that drive. Since FCPX has issues with folders with certain names, maybe that gives it the wobblies too? Also, did you check for folders called 'backup' or 'private'?

August 03, 2011 08:04PM
Actually, given that there have been reports of folders called 'Private' and 'Backup' being the trouble, there's a high likelihood that these were locked folders. Maybe it is locked folders that are the problem.

August 03, 2011 08:17PM
OMG! Jon said it first and for some reason I flew past it. Jude, I'm glad you brought it up again. My brain isn't working too well today. I did have a folder named, 'backup' and 'private'. It was from a SD card of some footage. Now the CalDigit shows up... Thank you you two cool smiley

Now all's right with the world... well, almost. Add external monitoring back, and I'll be one happy camper winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics