Time Code in FCP-10

Posted by Ray 
Ray
Time Code in FCP-10
September 24, 2011 12:22PM
Once again I need some information. Before I Jump to FC 10 I need to know how it handles Time code. I have two major clients that I shoot their video and in the past it may run for hours of raw footage. Then I make them a window burns in 2 hour long DVD's. They give me an EDL list for me to type in the in and out points. I then assemble them in what ever order they want. Can I do this in the new FCP-10? Can not find this on web foreman. Thanks for help. Ray
Re: Time Code in FCP-10
September 24, 2011 12:56PM
No, it can't. It has no timecode reader effect, though probably one could be made in Motion.

All the best,

Tom
September 24, 2011 03:46PM
Control Y and the Skimmer will show time code in the event browser. The Viewer also shows time code. Control P allows you to enter a time code to jump to. On a source clip hit Control P and mark in and Control P mark out if you're given in and out points on a source.

Of course if your client has iMovie and they use the sources, they can do the rough cut or selects and you can import the project.

What it doesn't do is show you source time code numbers in the timeline.
September 24, 2011 08:49PM
You can actually type timecode into the single timecode display, but it does not comply to the old FCP conventions, so if you have the muscle memory of hitting '.' for 00, you'll get odd results.

Also, you have to click on the clip you want the timecode of, then click on the timecode window - being careful not to let the skimmer touch any other clip, as this will reset the window it is referencing, then type your in point, then hit i. Do the same for the outpoint, then add it to the timeline. Do not click away from the clip at any time during the process or you'll lose your in and out points and have to start again.

I do a lot of work by timecode for one client in FCP7 and I don't even have to hit a box to type the timecode. As long as the viewer is selected, you can just type the first numbers, hit i, type the second numbers, hit o, hit f10, type next number, hit i and so on. It's a far more elegant workflow.

Ray
September 24, 2011 09:01PM
I use FC7 and maybe in your last paragraph you can give me a little more information as to where you are typing in the time code in and out points. Not going to try FC 10 just yet. Thanks for the help. Ray
September 24, 2011 10:18PM
So, in FCP 7, load a clip into the viewer. Then click on the viewer. Now just type on your number pad the timecode you want to go to. For example, to go to 13 minutes, 14 seconds exactly, I would type 1314. (note the full stop, which equates to double zero in FCP7) The playhead will move to this position.

Then I hit the 'i' key to mark the in point.

Then I type the second number on the keypad, say 132212, which is 13 minutes, 22 seconds and 12 frames.

Then I hit 'o' to mark the out point. Then f10 to send this to the timeline at the point my playhead is parked.

Then I load another clip into the viewer, or click back onto the viewer and type my next timecode.

So you don't have to use the little timecode boxes at all. Just having the viewer window selected is enough for FCP to recognise that if you're typing numbers, they are timecode references for that window.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics