Apple's bet against Tracks by Alex4D

Posted by craig seeman 
July 24, 2012 05:12PM
[alex4d.wordpress.com]

We've been through this ad infinitum in the early days but Alex's explanation might be good for newbies visiting the forum. When one loves or hates Apple's new methodology, Alex does a good job explaining the intent at least.
Re: Apple's bet against Tracks by Alex4D
August 01, 2012 08:41PM
It's a good article.

My question is whether the concept of tracks has been adopted for other uses besides the organisation of media (eg. Subtitle tracks, graphics), and to store alternate shots or ideas.

I look around at the jobs I'm working on, and besides these purposes... I have used tracks to:

1) Create a sync map to prep a bulk of multicam footage. Usually a sequence will store a whole day's worth of multicam rushes. Makes it easier to create multiclips once you can see the relationship between all the clips.

2) On a recent project, I worked on an edit where I was given a line cut, and iso clips from one of the cameras (usually the wide), and audio scattered across both clips. For the cut, I was working largely off the line cut, and I would keep the iso camera on a disabled track, and when I needed the iso cam (which was rare), I'll just bring that clip down to track 1.

3) Re-adjust the position of the subtitles. At the moment, I'll adjust one subtitle, then copy and paste the motion attributes to the rest of the track. Not sure if this is doable with roles.

4) Adjust gain on audio track from a certain point onwards. (eg. lower music by 3dBs from the middle of segment 3 to the end of the timeline).

5) Ripple trim a comp (not compound clips, but like 10 layers of picture) to playhead.

That said, I noticed Apple has been sneaking in improvements to the search tool in FCP X. That's pretty cool.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Apple's bet against Tracks by Alex4D
August 02, 2012 05:52AM
Gerard wrote:
3) Re-adjust the position of the subtitles. At the moment, I'll adjust one subtitle, then copy and paste the motion attributes to the rest of the track. Not sure if this is doable with roles.

It's not really possible and it's a real pain once you got a lot of them.
Subtitles always has been an issue with any NLE - in case you work with them while editing.
One of the good things with subtitles in FCPX is: they are searchable, this means not only to find them but search for a word, sentence etc and replace them. But that's finally the only good thing.

-Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics