Supermeet updates

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Re: Supermeet updates
April 12, 2011 10:10PM
My prediction is the opposite of Marcus, a silence of epic proportions will follow on the rest of the suite. Until FCP 11. (Or, if they follow the current nomenclature, it'll be FCP 13.)
April 12, 2011 10:13PM
Looks like iMovie Pro.
April 12, 2011 10:14PM
Yeah that was pretty much a refeed of all the top tweets coming out of the event, mixed with an audio feed that I was listening to. No mention of anything else in the suite.

Like anything new, I think 40% will love it, 40% hate it and 10% not care at all or have no idea what the difference is. But for $299 I'll be getting it.

April 12, 2011 10:18PM
Website not yet updated.

I think they're running this up the flagpole because they're nervous, and they should be.

I think it's time to retire Randy Ubillos from the pitcher's mound. He got bored with the FCP UI years ago, but I'm not about being bored with it. I WANT to be bored with it. I want it to be comfy, friendly and familiar and git the work done, that should be the most complex part of the product-- the work. Change for the sake of change is simply regressive.

Now we have to ooze around this pretty timeline of thumbnails (and there damn well better be a way to turn those off!) for all the groovy new live actions that are available.

We'll see. Right now it's disturbing my nap.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
April 12, 2011 10:30PM
Any word on the rest of the suite???
April 12, 2011 10:30PM
Cheers Jude for the CNN coverage winking smiley

I like a lot of what I am seeing (emphasis on SEEING...have to touch it). No Viewer? Weird. Uh-oh...Media 100 flashback. "Auto Color Balance" on ingest? That had better be an option I can shut off. "Auto Ingest" in general scares me a bit...too early to tell though.

Give it to me. I want to see if I can break it grinning smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

April 12, 2011 10:54PM
Oh, and to round out my bad maths above, 10% will move to Hawaii and start a lei recycling company. Assuming a sample group of five, of course.

April 13, 2011 12:44AM
What kind of computer horsepower is it going to take to run all this? Can a first generation Mac Pro with 2 dual cores have a chance?
April 13, 2011 02:00AM
Thanks for doing this Jude
What do I think?
Not sure yet
Was running around too much and did not see all
What I saw was impressive
Bold choices
Like the UI
We shall see

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 13, 2011 02:47AM

Change for the sake of change is simply regressive.

I wouldn't call it change for the sake of change. A lot has changed in the world of post production, production, and computers in the 12 years since FCP came on the market. It's not a bad idea to periodically re-evaluate how we create.

It's a pretty bold move to suggest that there might in fact be a better way to edit with the formats and workflows of today. Time will tell if this is a step in the right direction or not, and I'm not suggesting that my current version of FCP is obsolete. But I'm encouraged by some of what I see including 64 bit architecture, format and codec independent timeline, and some of the clever bells and whistles like the magnetic timeline, and auditioning.

Andy
April 13, 2011 03:46AM
Thanks for the updates Jude!
April 13, 2011 04:11AM
From Larry's blog "After the presentation, I spoke with Richard Townhill, Director of Pro Video Product Marketing for Apple (who served as the host for Apple?s presentation) who told me that ?the purpose of today is to focus exclusively on Final Cut Pro, highlight some of the new features, and give people a chance to see and comment on the new interface. We will have much more to say about both Final Cut and our other applications in the future.?

Larry continues: "This does not mean these other applications are dead ? simply that Apple is not talking about them? yet.

source:Larry's Blog @ larryjordan.biz
April 13, 2011 06:23AM
64 bit, good,. Background rendering, good. Plays anything, good. But based on what I've read I will not be rushing out to spend a dime on this. Far too many fundamental questions left unanswered, forget about the complicated ones. Like others I will want to make sure that I can turn off some of these flashy new features.
April 13, 2011 09:51AM
i image that by the time it is available to buy
a lot of questions will have been answered.

it does seem quite alien, and the only real way to gauge it will be to try it.
that'd be one reason the price is so low, i imagine.

hopefully it will be a simple thing to run both FCP7 and FCPX on the same machine.

nick
April 13, 2011 05:32PM
Andy wrote-
[ I'm encouraged by some of what I see including 64 bit architecture, format and codec independent timeline, and some of the clever bells and whistles like the magnetic timeline, and auditioning. ]

Agreed. I had hoped to see all that in a familiar interface. Instead, we get iMovie on steroids,

[hopefully it will be a simple thing to run both FCP7 and FCPX on the same machine.]

That's my plan, booting from totally different drives, one with Leopard, one with Snow Leopard. Especially with such a radical departure. Many many things to test, form keyboard to vieiwng clips in one monitor while playing program in another. Can't do with just one viewer. Use Viewer/Canvas concurrently for a zillion operations.

This is what happens when they spend two years working on it. From now on, we must limit them to nine months. That would preclude replacing the interface and destroying our kinesthetic.

I'm damn grumpy about this but like Michael says, we shall see.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
April 13, 2011 05:32PM
Beautiful work on this, Jude; I meant to offer profound thanks.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
April 13, 2011 07:31PM
Thanks everyone. It really was my pleasure.

April 13, 2011 09:24PM
yeah, brilliant job Jude. I got more from this forum than being there. Course didn't see all I wanted cause I was busy making sure all was working elsewhere. Like - "fill the damn water station!" glorious life of a supermeet producer.

Michael Horton
-------------------
April 14, 2011 04:41AM
But of course you mean "SuperMeet co-producer"

:-)

Dan
---
Daniel Bérubé
BOSFCPUG
[www.bosfcpug.org]
[supermeet.com]

Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yeah, brilliant job Jude. I got more from this
> forum than being there. Course didn't see all I
> wanted cause I was busy making sure all was
> working elsewhere. Like - "fill the damn water
> station!" glorious life of a supermeet producer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics