Final Cut Pro X - still Pro

Posted by Alex4D 
Re: Final Cut Pro X - still Pro
May 05, 2011 03:55AM
Yes Joe, all the information currently available points towards being fully capable of having both applications installed on the same system.
May 05, 2011 07:00AM
They might even be able to run at the same time.

All the best,

Tom
May 05, 2011 09:27AM
You may need to rename FCP7 to "Final Cut Pro 7.app" if FCPX has the same filename.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
May 06, 2011 02:16AM
Jon
You may need to rename FCP7 to "Final Cut Pro 7.app" if FCPX has the same filename.
It's not only the app name. The prefs are more important.
At this time you can run FCP 6 and FCP 7 on the same machine -- even at the same time (which is somehow confirmed by Apple) .
If FCP X will have the same prefs file name there will be a problem since the prefs will for sure have totally different entries.
But I don't think (speculation) they will have the same name/ID.

Andreas
May 06, 2011 08:54AM
i know this thread is huge, but all i've got to say about FCPX at this point is . . .

1- WTF

2- huh?

3- oh no!

4- why?

5- no . . just plain straight up "no"

oh well.

Regards,
Bluey,
May 10, 2011 01:22AM
With regards to capturing from tape, there is a big hint that some form of capture will be supported in-app in the high-res screenshots Apple has released. If you look at the bar of icons between the top an bottom halves of the UI, the left-most icon is in fact a camera. There is a similar (albeit less 'pro'-looking) icon in iMovie which allows you to do a simple ingest from a FireWire-based source if one is plugged in. The iMovie version doesn't have support for extra metadata, or batching, but that to me seems to be one of the easiest additions to make. Harder would be the variety of camera/format types you can plug in, but that seems to have been a big area of focus in the other ingestion features mentioned on the night anyway.

So, fingers crossed. Personally, I'm looking forward to June to put this sucker through it's paces before making any final judgements.

David Peterson
May 10, 2011 04:55AM
That button in iMovie is for import from any camera not only tape based cameras. There is no indication in that button that it will support tape based media. It may, but it would require a complete rewrite of the log and capture and batch capture modules. Nothing you can tell from the button.

All the best,

Tom
May 10, 2011 07:32AM
Indeed, impossible to tell from one icon. But nonetheless, it's a sign that ingesting from tape is still on the radar.

Regards,

David Peterson
May 10, 2011 02:20PM
It looks like a novice app made for those who want to start learning and then buy a real editing system once they have it down.

The key wording and in-timeline media browsing is nice. Better use of cpu resources.... wonderful. Darker sleeker UI ........... marvelous.
I like the enhanced effects and possible grade layers. Probably much better keying. Deeper audio.
Nicer TL but like the more obtuse way trk numbers are represented in the current version.

No viewer might be a deal breaker for me. It sorta makes Premier look more pro. and at 1st take, the over all presentation of FCPX reminds me of Vegas.
Sometimes i like to look at the last frame of a clip while i scrub through shots in the viewer. It a major part of how i choose the cut. I want to see the frames in at least a 512x288 frame. the way it looks in the thumbs the clips are THUMBS. maybe 200px max width.

The its a la cart it seems that they would continue the studio packaging. That feels like they are gonna pay less attention to Motion, Color (ie, the possible layered grading in fcpX), Soundtrack, Compressor.

Maybe some of this should be incorporated into FCPX. I don't know.
I think they were on to something when they came out with color. As i know the only mentionable places to do good grading is DaVinci, DaVinci Resolve, Color and AE. Color is worth keeping as a standalone or in a suite.

At 299 i am gonna get it but i am gonna keep FCP6/7 as the work horse till i see what it can do.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
May 10, 2011 03:34PM
Swell. I get to pay for what I already have.

Anyone ever watch Robert Klein's HBO gig, when he rants about "Diamondique"? He adds his own, like "Sapphirolium," "Opalonia", whatever. I add mine too-- "RubyMaybe" and "Jadenot." Feels like the same thing with FCPX.

The very finest time to introduce some sparking new maybe gem? The middle of a deep recession when people have to make money. Holy Cow, talk about out of touch.

I toured iMovie yesterday to see what I was in for.

Hello, great big purple Avid, where you been all this time? How 'about those Celtics?....

Really, I hope there's some "backward" movement forward to FCP8.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 10, 2011 03:36PM
Keep in mind that Apple is playing catch up to Adobe's 64 bit, all the ram and cores you can afford CS5.5. Thus, they're rushing X out and will probably make the rest of the studio available until they can get those apps up to speed as well. Back to a la carte until all the studio apps are 64bit and then we will probably see it sold as a studio again. Yes, this is just more speculation.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
May 10, 2011 05:03PM
[keep in mind that Apple is playing catch up to Adobe's 64 bit]

Yeah, trei, but do they have to splatter the interface with thumbnails just because they can??

- Loren
Photo scan rates demystified!
ScanGuide? Pro compact reference now at
www.neotrondesign.com
May 12, 2011 03:42AM
I wonder why Apple is still using " Fcp" as a name for this completely new exiting piece of editing software.

It's a brand new solution we are dealing with... it doesn't look like Fcp, it doesn't work like it, it doesn't taste like it. As an evoluting solution Final Cut Pro is as dead as... Shake. Over, finito, basta, terminé !

FcpX could be a transitional project code name and the new software branded definitely when released.
May 12, 2011 08:57AM
Maybe they should have called it FCP-Y!
May 12, 2011 09:05AM
FCPWTH

May 14, 2011 03:58AM
At first the caveman was upset because his job of cracking two stones together to start fire was threatened by this thing called a match. A few of the other cavemen took a liking to the match and decided to build a camp fire, while a few others decided to put matches into their buffalo bags and venture into undiscovered lands without worry about warmth. Others shunned it altogether as voodoo and black magic. ?I spent a lifetime perfecting this technique. Now what do I do with my life?? This new match thing is really insulting to the stone cracking profession. Now any idiot can start a fire. The caveman sat long and hard in his dark cave. When he finally came out to claim the meaning of life, he was instantly devoured by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
May 14, 2011 05:39AM
yes funny !

I know lots of editors forum where you could have posted it as a response.

Of course it doesn't apply to any post here where everybody expect a lot from this (and I quote myself) new exiting piece of editing software.
May 14, 2011 07:03AM
At first the editor was upset because his editing job was threatened by this thing called FCPX. A few of the Apple fanboys took a liking to FCPX and decided to edit their family home movies on it because it was cool to tell their friends they could use FC, while a few others decided to install it on their Mac Books and venture into undiscovered lands of paid work because now they were armed with automated simplicity in so many areas they were lacking. Others shunned it altogether as a step backwards and whistles and bells over robust practicality, wondering why the magnetic timeline couldn't be altered to accommodate their editing technique or wishing they had a viewer and a player still because they used them both, getting headaches over film strip images all over the place and wondering when they would ever use the 'multiple choice' feature which got so many oohs at the preview. ?I spent ages waiting for a robust, 64bit, background rendering version of FCP 7, now wtf do I do with this toy?? This new FCPX thing is really insulting to the editing profession. Now any idiot thinks they can edit. The editor sat long and hard in his dark suite. When he finally came out to claim more work, he saw the Apple fanboys had been devoured by their blind adoration of a consumer company purporting to offer pro tools to the masses... and he chuckled to himself as he unwrapped the cellophane on his CS5 Master Collection case.
May 14, 2011 09:14AM
>>Now any idiot thinks they can edit<<

I'm almost positive I can find that exact quote from the day FCP1 was released. Or possibly even AVID.

May 14, 2011 09:24AM
eyeseesound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now any idiot thinks they can edit.

Gasp! The nerve of those people!

Chi-Ho Lee
Film & Television Editor
Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Instructor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics