Final Cut Pro X - still Pro

Posted by Alex4D 
Re: Final Cut Pro X - still Pro
May 20, 2011 03:22AM
If Boris would have an NDA it would be like Apple was asking them: would do you think about FCP X compared to your Media100.
May 20, 2011 06:07AM
Boris has already said he will produce effects for X, maybe no NDA, but he's going to be there, just as we've announced classes in X whenever it happens.

All the best,

Tom
May 20, 2011 10:49AM
Hey Tom,
I know you're an extremely knowledgeable editor and all that but you've raised some issues that I have thought about. Unless you already have it under NDA, you, as well as other instructors and trainers will also have to learn the new application. Unless you have instant genius with it, how can your classes begin to teach an application that you yourself are just beginning to learn?
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
May 20, 2011 11:50AM
Tom Wolsky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boris has already said he will produce effects for X, maybe no NDA, but he's going to be there, just
> as we've announced classes in X whenever it happens.

Boris said that they have the "intention" to release software for FCPX. They did not say anything else. They did not speak about updates, new plugins or such.

I also have the intention to release plugins for FCPX. If they will be completely new ones, or just a re-compile of the current ones depends on the available plugin interface(s). Of course I will also release new plugins. But I also have to wait until I get my hand on the SDK (if there will be one).
May 20, 2011 12:29PM
You learn it quickly.

All the best,

Tom
May 22, 2011 06:36AM
>>how can your classes begin to teach an application that you yourself are just beginning to learn? <<

We RTFM and experiment a lot. Also, if you're lucky your teacher is a working editor that has a lot of face time with an application because they have a lot of work to do, and things they need to achieve, so they work it out pretty quickly compared to people who maybe need certain functions only once or twice a year.

And then we hang out on these forums and see what problems come up, and how to get around them. It's an invaluable resource.

May 22, 2011 11:32AM
And that is what I intend to do. I have already been asked to address a few groups on X and I haven't even played with it yet. Did practice with iMovie a bit though.;-)
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
May 22, 2011 08:18PM
I called this thread 'still Pro' - perhaps the Final Cut Pro Classic stands for Professional - however X could be aimed at Producers. For the first version at least.

There was another audience being catered to back in April...

I've recently realised that the sneak peek was for gadget freaks and the blogs they read. Instead of talking Genesis footage, they talked about GoPro. Looks like Apple want to widen their market to include dabblers with plenty of spare cash - that was the level of the presentation - the Engadget and Techcrunch reader.

Gadgeteers. Who else buys version 1 of anything?

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
May 22, 2011 09:29PM
I'll be buying it, so I can teach it competently by the time it's more mainstream. But, yeah, I 'spose I am also a bit of a gearhead, and the price is right.

But again, we don't know if it's completely awesome, or completely awful, or somewhere in the middle, which is the really obvious probable outcome. Give it a few more weeks and we can all crow or cry with authority.

May 23, 2011 12:57AM
Hello, just dropping in... what? Thread still going? Have we beat the Apple Discussions threads, Tom? If not in terms of count, how about date spread?

I just hope pulling out the timeline and Project thumbnails won't be too tortuous.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option-R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
available here at the LAFCPUG Store!
May 23, 2011 04:47AM
"I just hope pulling out the timeline and Project thumbnails won't be too tortuous."

What do you mean Loren? You can switch off the filmstrip view.

All the best,

Tom
May 23, 2011 05:13PM
Tom -

[What do you mean Loren? You can switch off the filmstrip view.]

Oh, too bad, I wanted to torture FCPX ;-)

It's the waiting, Tom, I can't stand the waiting... yahhhhhg.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option - R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
May 23, 2011 06:02PM
I am most definitely going to be getting it. Just hope I won't hate it.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 01, 2011 08:33AM
Bump ...

grinning smiley
June 01, 2011 10:13AM
Does anyone have knowledge of when FCPX is being released in June?
June 01, 2011 11:39AM
The date that I heard was June 11th. Who knows if it is accurate or not but in todays paper it said the Steve Jobs would be showing off Lion this coming weekend.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 01, 2011 12:36PM
Jobs is supposed to do the keynote on Monday, 10a PDT. 11th would be the day after WWDC ends. Seems like a good a day as any.

All the best,

Tom
June 01, 2011 12:39PM
Apple may not have even decided yet. Releasing via the App Store means Apple can choose any day they like at short notice.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 01, 2011 12:43PM
I've heard June 2012.

Just to piss you all off

smiling smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 01, 2011 02:09PM
Has anyone heard, or can anyone predict, how FCP-X will handle video fields? Fields have been a weakness in FCP. Avid lets you view fields; FCP does not. AE can make a proper 60p -> 60i conversion by just discarding the unused lines; FCP makes an artifacted mess of it.

Proper handling of video fields was at the top of my wish list for FCP revision, but Apple didn't ask me.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics