Plugins and Upgrading to FCP X

Posted by Greaser 
Plugins and Upgrading to FCP X
June 14, 2011 08:06PM
Can someone clue me in, if they know, as to how I will be able to upgrade to X and not have to re-install all my non Apple plugins?

Thanks for any help.
Re: Plugins and Upgrading to FCP X
June 14, 2011 08:28PM
I think it's best to assume that your plugins will not work with FCP X.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 14, 2011 09:19PM
Seriously? Boris? FxFactory? Idustrial? Boinx?
June 14, 2011 09:24PM
Boris has announced their intention to support FCPX, which means that they didn't get a pre-release copy and they're going to have to check it out on the day of release like everyone else. I don't know about the other companies you mentioned but very few people got access to the FCPX beta so don't expect any third party tools or plugins to be compatible on the day of release.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 14, 2011 09:44PM
I wonder if we'll be able to run 7 and X on the same system. ?? If not, I'll run it on a drive of it's own and add new plugins as time goes on.
June 14, 2011 10:17PM
We are ALL gonna have to wait and see...together. Since this is a ground-up-rewrite, I personally would venture a guess that there will be new FCPX versions of all plug-ins.and from what I heard you can run both apps on the same system (probably not at the same time).

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 14, 2011 10:19PM
The only thing that would be a problem is if it's called "Final Cut Pro.app" instead of "Final Cut Pro X.app". I don't know if the App Store would overwrite the old Final Cut Pro application if it has the same name. It's probably best to rename it to "Final Cut Pro 7.app" before installing just in case.

Other than that, they should be independent.

My software:
More tools...
June 14, 2011 11:04PM
I cant imagine not being able to run both apps on same drive. It would be nuts. This will be version 1 and very few will chuck FCP 7 for a Version 1. Now Lion might throw a wrench in the fire but that remains to be seen.

If we can't run both on same drive for some reason, guys like Jon Chappell will figure out how to do it and then tell us.

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 15, 2011 07:25AM
You probably can run several versions on the same drive. This was a question on a developer site for v6 and v7 and was confirmed by Apple. I did even with the versions before.
As FCPX will be a new app and not an update there shouldn't be a problem at all. And as it's another app you can run them both at the same time.

As Jon mentioned even if it would be an update just rename FCP upfront and also we all have to wait what the future of current plugins will be, maybe they will work in a future release of either the plugin or FCP.
Any FCP plugin or workflow developer intends to have a version of his software working with FCP X.

Andreas
June 15, 2011 08:31AM
Thanks all.
June 15, 2011 11:47AM
I have spoken to many of the 3rd party plug in companies and none of them are under NDA with Apple and are waiting, just as we are, for X's release. Though past versions of FC always stepped on the previous version, since X is an entirely new application, it should be able to be downloaded as a separate application. Jon Chappell makes a good point though in terms of the name of the download. A big question and one I have spoken to Ken Stone a bit about is whether Studio 3 will run on Lion. If so, than we can have both apps running, do our work in Studio 3 while we teach ourselves the ins and out of the new X. If not, then I think I will download X and hold off on Lion for quite some time.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 15, 2011 01:08PM
No one's brought this up: plug-ins will no doubt need to be updated to work in a 64bit application. None of your current plug-ins will work as FCP 7 is a 32 bit application with 32-bit plug-ins.

When Premiere Pro and After Effects CS5 came out, everyone had to upgrade their plug-ins. This can be an expensive proposition, so get ready to get out the credit card.
June 15, 2011 06:57PM
Kevin
None of your current plug-ins will work as FCP 7 is a 32 bit application with 32-bit plug-ins.

That applies to FxPlug plugins. As FxScript plugins are based on a scripting language that is interpreted, all Apple would need to do is to update the interpreter.

Given that the co-ordinate model is likely to change to that of Motion, and that X is meant to be a clean break, I don't think Andreas, Graeme, Andy and I expect our plug-ins to work in X.

That doesn't stop an enterprising third-party from creating an FxScript interpreter 64-bit plugin for the Final Cut Pro X series...

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
June 15, 2011 10:15PM
Upgrading our plugins will be our summertime hobby.

Or wait until the full version of FCP X, you know, with the rest of Studio 4. Excuse me, Studio X.

I especially can't wait for my upgraded Thumbnail Annihilator plugin from !(*)*&^#&%$ FX, Inc.

Sometime in the Fall I'll be able to do useful work in FCPX...

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option - R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 16, 2011 11:29AM
Hi Alex,
FXPlug plug-ins are what I'm talking about. I don't expect FXScript support to be supported.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics