Reconnect media in FCP X...anyone?

Posted by dantzis 
Reconnect media in FCP X...anyone?
June 22, 2011 02:59AM
Playing around on FCP X. So far it's got some cool features except there doesn't seem to be a reconnect media option.
If anyone has figured this out...enlighten me!
Re: Reconnect media in FCP X...anyone?
June 22, 2011 04:50AM
I made a test project and didn't realize FCPX would copy all my project media to my small SSD boot drive, thus filling it up! No wonder I was getting good performance though. So I deleted the files off the SSD, and then found there was no way to relink the media back to the originals. I just got red offline media placeholders and couldn't find any relink option in the app or the manual.

So.... If anyone finds relink..... Maybe there's some way you can go into the sqlite database and hack it?
June 22, 2011 05:57AM
There is a 'proper' way to move events listed here

[help.apple.com]

Not sure how to fix it once it's unfixed, but I guess this is the way to do it in the future.

Or, could you move everything back to where it was, then move the Event the way X wants you to, maybe?

June 22, 2011 01:25PM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a 'proper' way to move events listed here
>
>
> [help.apple.com]
> 277a3
>
> Not sure how to fix it once it's unfixed, but I
> guess this is the way to do it in the future.
>
> Or, could you move everything back to where it
> was, then move the Event the way X wants you to,
> maybe?

Watch these free videos here [www.macprovideo.com]. They were a huge help to me figuring out the new file layout. Helps you know the difference from a Event and Project and how the relate to the old FCP.
June 22, 2011 01:31PM
Yeah, the Event Library is NOT the old Project Browser-- anything you move, copy or DELETE here gets moved, copied or DELETED on your *media drives*-- you're actually looking at your system in this Library window.

It may have advantages, but I think this behavior should be an option, of course. I like the ability to reorganize and still draw from and reconnect to established media drives without impact on the files.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Temporarily mix down audio tracks with Command-Option - R !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
June 22, 2011 02:07PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems like a proper place to ask since you're referring to media management:

I've read that by default, X will import your media into the 'Movies' folder on your boot drive. Can this behavior be changed, with anything like the old Scratch Disk settings box? I can't believe Apple wouldn't give us a way to utilize our RAIDs and external drives for media...

JVK

June 22, 2011 03:03PM
I tried dragging the event into a friend's USB drive earlier this evening. Not only. Did it copy the event onto the drive, it also created a shortcut of my apps folder on his hard drive.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 22, 2011 03:07PM
And I have a very good reason for not wanting media on my system drive. I have a 250 gig SSD system drive.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 22, 2011 03:13PM
> And I have a very good reason for not wanting media on my system drive.

Anybody who knows anything knows not to store media on the system drive.

That is about the most pathetically overt iMovie pandering of this whole FCPX fiasco. Even ordinary YouTube videographers will have storage problems with this feature.

www.derekmok.com
June 22, 2011 06:27PM
Getting your media to go to any mounted drive is so simple in FCPX I can't believe that it is causing such concern.
June 22, 2011 06:39PM
Is it in the dialogue box that appears when you create a new project? I saw that in a screencast earlier today.

Still, it sounds like you can't share Project files between editors as easily as before; there's no way to reconnect media and even if you share the same media folder the project files doesn't retain the same folder/organization structure.
June 21, 2012 09:14AM
Easy.
Step 1) Go to your project library and single click your project
Step 2) Go to your Properties dialog (upper right panel) and click the Modify Event References

Works in most cases
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics