Sadly - Premiere Pro 5.5 is looking better

Posted by Andy Field 
Sadly - Premiere Pro 5.5 is looking better
June 22, 2011 04:37PM
If you want to sit through the demo - it's the additions many FCP7 editors wanted with 64bit speed without the Imovie interface

Premiere Pro 5.5 demo
Re: Sadly - Premiere Pro 5.5 is looking better
June 22, 2011 04:46PM
...and you don't need an Open CL graphics card.
June 22, 2011 09:40PM
Yes...Adobe has a very strong argument now (Premiere uses Grand Central Dispatch / native DSLR editing / etc as well)...and I have it on GOOD AUTHORITY (I know someone high up on the Pro Video Team at Adobe) that the phone is ringing off the hook over there because of the pi$$-poor FCPX reviews and calls for refunds...and they are LISTENING HARD. I have been assured that Pro Users will "not be disappointed" with Premiere from here on out. They promise a (major) full new version every 2 years with a .5 release every year and maintenance updates scattered throughout. They are listening to the Pros.

Hell if I owned Adobe, I would smell the blood in the water. FCP7 is EOL folks. FCPX is not ready for primetime and pros are just not willing to bet the ranch on it as it stands. There are too many unanswered questions.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 23, 2011 11:54AM
From a creativecow thread -- user who's making Premier Pro work nearly like FCP7 (but with 64bit speed and little or no rendering)

Making the switch to Premiere Pro
June 23, 2011 12:15PM
I gotta tell you...this feels like the death of a distant friend.
June 23, 2011 12:28PM
Well I saw the NAB presentation of FCPX was impressed with what I saw and did fully expect that Apple would carry over the vast majority of features from FCP 7 to FCPX. The few obvious things that were missing from the what we saw at the presentation like the viewer/canvas relationship, I was willing to wait and see what their new paradigm would be to solve the issue of referencing cut points between clips. Issues about exporting to tape I took as serious but thought, you know they will sort this out with a point release. But now some people have had a chance to seriously go through FCPX and assess the new workflow and feature set, I cannot see many people here moving to it as a primary NLE. The number of things missing are too numerous to list off. One man band shops could function with FCPX but even then you are hooped on a number of fronts if you have any investment in plugins or hardware. Photoshop layering isn't supported. Roundtripping to Color is gone, support for controllers (most) gone...

Walter Biscardi and Richard Harrington have done a rather lengthy but important audio broadcast going over the issues of FCPX to people who call themselves editors. It's important. They have done a lot of distillation and, in the end, save people time in determining the gotchas with upgrading or using FCPX in it's present state. You can find it here:

[podcasts2.creativecow.net]

I was planning to move to Resolve this summer in any event. I have only seen Premiere as an observer for a couple of hours peering over an Editor's shoulder. Fairly impressed but I am curious about AVID MC as it is prevalent in the industry and I have heard more than a few people I respect talk highly of it in it's current form although I have heard of some issues as well.
June 23, 2011 09:07PM
Andy Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From a creativecow thread -- user who's making
> Premier Pro work nearly like FCP7 (but with 64bit
> speed and little or no rendering)
>
> Making the switch to Premiere Pro

That's me! I signed up here at LAFCPUG a few years ago but mainly just lurk. I decided to take an exploratory stab at Premiere Pro this morning and was very happy with what I found. Besides what I mentioned in the post, PPro also has Multicam and Red support. I know a lot of people are upset about X not having Multicam, so if you've had PPro sitting on your drive as part of Creative Suite but never bothered to even open it (like I did), it might be good to jump in and get your feet wet with it. You can have Multicam and be editing on a 64 bit app that can pretty much function just like FCP does.
June 23, 2011 09:15PM
How is the media management? Can you offline/online easily and trim the media? Can you relink to clips of shorter duration but with the same timecode? Is it possible to export without rendering? Eg. Same as source. How are the logging columns and thumbnail previews?

www.strypesinpost.com
June 23, 2011 09:38PM
I only took a stab at it for about an hour this morning, so I really didn't have time to explore some of those topics that you mention. I'm finishing up some projects in classic FCP this week and weekend, but next week I'll be starting a new project and I'm going to do it in PPro as an experiment, so I might have some answers for you then.
June 24, 2011 12:33AM
Avid's a natural thing for me to pick up if FCP isn't going places. I would look at Premiere again, after this fiasco.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 24, 2011 12:55AM
The nice thing is that both Avid and Premiere have trial versions available so you have nothing to lose by testing them out.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics