FCPX ... huh?

Posted by harry323 
FCPX ... huh?
June 23, 2011 12:09AM
They told me that rendering time was a thing of the past, and that FCPX would accept any format and play without a hiccup. Just toss it in the Timeline - any old format - it'll play straight out of the box.

What they failed to reveal was that all the transcoding and rendering and analysis has to take place up-front. So, as far as I can see, to be properly prepared to edit in FCPX, there are hours of interminable copying and analysis to be endured.

They said it would be happy with HDV. It is not. It won't import.

I can, however, see myself using it for composites - montages and multi-layered scenes because of the speed of the 64 bit processing. And it is fun to watch the Activity Monitor flashing "64 bit" in triumph.

And how come there's no way of getting video out of a card - in my case Blackmagic - onto a proper HD monitor? That doesn't seem to have merited any attention whatever. Did someone forget that?

Maybe it's just me, but I also find the GUI kinda sluggish. And I'm on an 8 Core Dual 3 ghz, so I don't think it's me. But the rendering really is fast. That's it! I'll use it as a Render Farm.

It's a bit of a con trick, if you ask me.

Best wishes,

Harry.
Re: FCPX ... huh?
June 23, 2011 04:56AM
"What they failed to reveal was that all the transcoding and rendering and analysis has to take place up-front."

i don't think it's supposed to work that way.
maybe check your importing preferences.

"And how come there's no way of getting video out of a card - in my case Blackmagic - onto a proper HD monitor? That doesn't seem to have merited any attention whatever."

actually, people have been howling about it.
sadly there is no way to monitor your footage properly... yet

Harry, i think you have been using the old Cafe LA forum,
you want the new Cafe LA-X forum (to where this post has been moved):
[www.lafcpug.org]

nick
Re: FCPX ... huh?
June 23, 2011 06:45AM
You shouldn't have to be transcoding Harry. I dropped a h.264 clip and an mp4 clip right into it and started work right away. It transcodes in the background. Maybe your prefs are wrong, as Nick says.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics