Real FCPX questions -No Rants Please

Posted by alexedit 
Real FCPX questions -No Rants Please
June 23, 2011 08:42AM
Ok. so I have a few questions:

Can FPC7 and FCPX live in the same system? (they look like two different softwares)
-if so, any interference between the two?
Re: Real FCPX questions -No Rants Please
June 23, 2011 08:49AM
Yes they can co-exist. I was cutting on both today on the same system. The only thing that changes is that FCP 7 is put into a folder in your apps folder, so you have to dig it out manually if it's not in the dock anymore.

June 23, 2011 10:54AM
If you install Motion 5, you then need to launch Motion 4 once otherwise FCP 7 won't open.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 23, 2011 11:01AM
I installed Motion 5, and it replaced Motion 4. It's gone! My FCP 7 does open.
June 23, 2011 11:01AM
does this happen automatically when you install FPCX or do you have to do it by hand?
June 23, 2011 11:03AM
I really want to buy FCPX to see for myself, but I have a lot of projects on FPC7 that I am working on. I don't want to make my machine useless by installing FCPX -
June 23, 2011 11:41AM
Motion 4 is automatically placed in a Final Cut Studio folder inside your Applications directory. Don't worry - I thought exactly the same thing the first time I installed it.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 23, 2011 01:11PM
You are right. There it is... thanks!
June 23, 2011 07:12PM
So I have a Mac Pro 4 core pro duo 2.66 with a ATI ,RadeonX1900 video card I don't think it's compatible but my 13" Mac Book Pro is Does the FCP X Download prevent you from downloading it if the machine is not capable?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
June 23, 2011 07:42PM
I believe the Mac App Store checks your graphics card and prevents you from purchasing it.

You can view a list of unsupported cards here:
[support.apple.com]

You're right - the X1900 doesn't work.

My software:
More tools...
June 23, 2011 08:34PM
Dean the ATI 5770 is a cheap upgrade for your machine. It isn't officially supported but many people have it in the same machine as yours (myself included) and it works without issue.
June 24, 2011 04:11PM
Jon,

Thanks for the great tip about where Apple is hiding Motion 4 after the upgrade. I was worried that I'd lost it as well.

Norman

=====================================
NORMAN HOLLYN
Professor at USC Film School, Editor, Writer, Speaker
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics