almost Insulting

Posted by xavpil 
almost Insulting
June 23, 2011 09:56AM
Like every body I am shocked...
I went through the phases of excitement in January, then intense anxiety in April, followed by intense joy mid April. Finally came impatience until the release.... until now...
Surprise then anger then.... "wait, really?...." then "maybe I don't get it"....
Finally: Yes I got it.... and I am ANGRY!!!

Who do Apple think they are to totally redesign the tool that professionals use everyday to make their living?! I am sorry Apple, but for most of us FCP isn't a toy. Yes we love to play around with it but it is usually from 9p-5p...
Apple pushed the envelop too far. Yes they are pioneers. Yes they can rethink what a phone can do and how it can be used. But you don't mess with a professional tool. You improve it over time instead of an update every 18 months.
IMO Apple has been cocky by thinking "yeah... they'll change the way they've been working for the last 10 years, no problem".
Well,,,, it doesn't seem that we are any time soon.

Finally, IMO AVID must be so happy!!! They are now the only one in the pro market!!!
Re: almost Insulting
June 23, 2011 07:45PM
Well, I am keeping my FCP X to cut some of those old holiday videos. But I'm looking seriously at Premiere or Avid (I wonder what avid will be like after the 64 bit rewrite). Comments are welcome.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 23, 2011 07:56PM
My initial reaction when I downloaded it was "oh cool! FCP X!" Then I imported an xdcam card full of QuickTime rushes I had converted in the morning (was on an Exfat transport drive). I checked most of the check boxes except to transcode rushes (xdcam ex should be easily real time in a 64 environment). Then I waited a bit, and discovered the horror that the footage was going onto my SSD drive on my less than a month old MBP. Eventually I found the button to stop the insane filling up my system drive with rushes. Try as I could, I can't find a way to use this in my next project. But yea, I have some iPhone footage from that train ride from KL shot with the super 8mm app that I may cut on FCP X if it doesn't force me to transcode to ProRes and lets me keep my media on an external drive.

www.strypesinpost.com
June 23, 2011 08:20PM
"force me to transcode to ProRes"

interesting point brought up by Tom W elsewhere:
transcode to ProRes LT is not an option.

pity about that, it was a good codec.

nick
June 23, 2011 09:35PM
You can export to LT but not transcode on ingest as far as I can see. Right now I'm trying to export a 4 minute 30 timeline to H.264 (no options to change the frame size) and its reporting 20 minutes to do it.

I do have some titles on half of it that it seems to want to render in some way - there is an orange line. I can play it back perfectly though.

June 23, 2011 09:48PM
Also, no background exporting, which would have been nice. Locks up the whole program. I can see why this might be important, but really, all it means is that it's rendering now, instead of before when I was working, so it's just as slow in the long run if I have to transcode to something else on export.

Now it's saying 30 minutes to export. 31. Crap, it's actually going up now its got to the mp4 section with titles. 32 and rising.

June 23, 2011 09:53PM
wow, this is just as exciting as your Super-Meet reports! smiling smiley
(i'm not kidding, i'm loving the feedback)

cheers,
nick
June 23, 2011 10:13PM
Well, here's some more. It's done 36% and now its saying 71 minutes to go.

Interesting fact. You can run FCP 7 and FCP X at the same time. I need to do some actual work lol

June 23, 2011 10:35PM
Over 100 minutes to do a 4:30 timeline to H.264? That's pathetic!

www.derekmok.com
June 23, 2011 10:49PM
I canned it. It wouldn't quit, I force quit it and it crashed.

June 23, 2011 11:37PM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, no background exporting, which would have
> been nice. Locks up the whole program.

It locks it up when doing a QuickTime export but all of the other Share options should operate in the background.

Jude Cotter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting fact. You can run FCP 7 and FCP X at
> the same time. I need to do some actual work lol

Really? FCPX complains and asks me to close it when I try that. Perhaps it was because you were exporting at the time and it can only display one modal sheet.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 23, 2011 11:50PM
Oh, you may be right. I'm in FCP 7 now and I just tried opening FCPX and it wanted me to quit FCP7 first. Before I was in FCPX and opened FCP7 no problem. Must have been the rendering out thing.

June 23, 2011 11:52PM
that could explain the performance issues?
June 24, 2011 12:02AM
Nah, I waited 20 minutes and it was already increasing in estimated time. I had to do actual work, so I then opened FCP7 out of curiosity, which worked fine. Oh, yeah, the crash could have been related, come to think of it, but it was already in trouble before I got bored waiting.

June 24, 2011 12:05AM
Is it true. Background rendering only happens when you stop doing something. So it's rendering and then you start working on your project again while it's rendering, and it pauses? If that's the case, that's not background rendering. I just got finished watching a 2 hour webcast with Mark Spencer and Steve Martin. They showed it rendering, but way before it finished, they went back to the timeline and started working on it. The rendering paused.

Also they showed the color correction features. It looked Pretty lame. There were other things that did not sit well with me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics