Randy U says...

Posted by Adage12 
Randy U says...
June 23, 2011 01:44PM
Don't know how true it is. But Randy Ubillos has this to say

[forums.creativecow.net]
Re: Randy U says...
June 23, 2011 03:00PM
The identity of the respondent is of course in question. But the ideas behind the message are bull.

Ideally, we avoid switching editing systems mid-project. But any working editor would know that there are also projects that last for years at a time -- for example, a showreel or an ongoing series. The complete inability to access an FCP7 project in the new FCPX (even via a roundabout way such as XML and EDL) is utterly moronic...and asinine.

www.derekmok.com
June 23, 2011 03:08PM
This whole situation shows that Apple doesn't understand the realities of the post production industry. Are EDLs, OMFs and tape outdated? Absolutely. Are there better alternatives available? Sure. But the fact is that I still need to deliver these on a regular basis, outdated or not. Hollywood / broadcast are not going to modernize their systems en-masse just because Apple tells them to.

And yes, I still need to open project files from 6 years ago.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 23, 2011 03:34PM
I love how they're basically derogating these complaints as 'pros b-tching'

Could you imagine a version of Microsoft Word that couldn't OPEN old Word files? Sorry, everything you've ever written simply won't open, and we're no longer selling the program that WILL open them. Oh, and you can't save different versions of your document, only ONE. And don't try sharing your document, it can only open on the computer that generated it. Oh, and forget PRINTING your document, because Apple thinks paper is a thing of the past.

It's utterly absurd.

It's FAIL Cut Pro X.
June 23, 2011 04:22PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This whole situation shows that Apple doesn't
> understand the realities of the post production
> industry.

Yes. And thats very surprising. I am all for a move to the future but Apple (Where tech meets liberal arts) should know that tape is here for some time. RED and Alexa are there but film is going to be here for some time. Besides Apple has a good staff of internal editors who are industry professionals. Did they get their input? What were these engineers smoking?
June 23, 2011 04:26PM
>And yes, I still need to open project files from 6 years ago

Totally. We can't tell a client who walks back into the studio wanting a retag on a $50000 ad that he shot a year ago, that it is not possible because FCp X does not open up his old project.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics