"Background Rendering"

Posted by chad haberstroh 
"Background Rendering"
June 24, 2011 10:00PM
Yeah, I guess. If you stop working and let it render. In the background.

Anyone else notice rendering pauses while you're working? That's not background rendering.
Re: "Background Rendering"
June 24, 2011 10:03PM
There's a timer and it waits until you've been idle for 5 seconds (if I recall correctly) and then begins rendering. I can see why they did that - so that it's not constantly trying to render something as you're modifying it - but it should be smart enough to continue rendering other sections of the timeline that you're not working on.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 24, 2011 10:19PM
I see. I was under the impression that the seconds value told it when to start rendering after rendering became necessary.

The timer is customizable in preferences. Up to 999 seconds it appears. Setting it to 1 second didn't make it immediate but that could be my machine's fault.
June 24, 2011 10:42PM
"That's not background rendering"

That what I said in another thread after I saw a demo online. Apple didn't think we'd catch on! eye rolling smiley
June 24, 2011 10:53PM
So if you're doing ANYTHING in the application it stops rendering?! Are you serious?

The word "background" means you can do something in the "foreground". If that's not the case, this "feature" is just an out-and-out lie. It's just "render when idle".

That is literally NO better than what currently happens in FCP7.

Is this true?!
June 24, 2011 11:11PM
I watched a 2 hour webcast with Mark Spencer and Steve Martin. They showed it rendering, but way before it finished, they went back to the timeline and started working on it. The rendering paused. The two of them had that "WTF" look on their face.

Not Really, but...
June 24, 2011 11:21PM
You can continue working with preview quality clips while it waits to render. I'm working with XDCAM EX 1080p off an external and I wasn't interrupted, but it was only a simple color effect on some broll on track 2...or whatever that's called now. Connector clip?

I honestly didn't notice that it wasn't rendering immediately until about 5 hours in. Regardless, "render when idle" would probably be a better name for it.
June 25, 2011 03:54AM
so in other words this new 'background rendering' is in fact . . . auto render (?)
June 25, 2011 04:16AM
It's autorender with about a five second delay. It is really seamless. You're working and you're not aware it's happening because proxies are being used while you edit.

All the best,

Tom
June 25, 2011 05:13AM
However, if it's not done rendering by the time you're finished cutting, I *think* it does it during output, like before, which would explain the massive export times I was experiencing the other day.

Anyway, like everyone says. It doesn't seem to be 'background'. It's auto render that detects when you're not editing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics