Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0012
gMux Version: 1.9.21

I can launch the app, move around in it fine. But when I import any clips and begin to skim or play them within a few seconds, sometime almost a minute, the screen goes black and I have to restart. This happens without fail every time. I updated the OS, I have quicktime pro, I reinstalled the app but it's the same. I've never had FCP 7 on the machine and I've tried clips I've used without issue in Final Cut Express on older Mac Books. I've also been sure to run it without any other applications open. As far as I can tell I have all the system requirements needed. I'm also trying to use short quicktimes on my local hard drive since at first I was using media on a firewire drive but again, no difference.... I've also waited until the background rendering is done in case that's tripping it up but no change... any ideas? Should I just take it to the apple store for them to look at?

thanks
Re: crashing to a black screen
June 25, 2011 05:16AM
I would take it in and demo the problem if you can. We don't really have enough information yet to help with serious troubleshooting. If you get a useful answer though, please report back.

June 25, 2011 06:13AM
I made an appointment tomorrow at the apple store. I'll post up what they tell me. I have noticed others responding on the apple discussion board with similar issues. I just tried importing some audio, I was able to play around with it briefly and make some cuts but it crashed soon after as well.
June 25, 2011 07:15AM
I've had a few crashes, but none to a black screen. If the screen goes really black and nothing will get the mac back, chances are your GPU has over-heated and given out. On a big mac I'd clean out the card of dust and ensure good ventilation. On a macbook that's harder...

Graeme
June 26, 2011 12:32AM
...sounds like you have one of those nightmare machines that crash to black for no good reason. What was the purchase date? There was a bad batch of machines released from new MBP launch through mid April. From late April on there was a "silent fix" implemented by Apple...which was when I bought my MBP and I have had no issues. There is a 95 page thread on "crashing to black" on the Apple Discussions site and it still grows to this day. Genius Bars couldn't fix it:

[discussions.apple.com]

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

June 27, 2011 04:00AM
I took it in and they think it's a serious hardware problem. They are going to replace the logic board, I'm still under warranty so it's free and we'll see in 5 days if that fixes it. I bought my Mbp in august last year, I haven't had issues with it but I also haven't been trying to edit on it until now.
June 28, 2011 04:39AM
They were much quicker with the repair. After a false alarm of it being fixed, a tech just reset the PRAM but when I went in it crashed immediately when I touched a clip. They replaced the logic board over night and now FCPX is running smooth. Lesson is if you're crashing to a black screen it's a hardware issue. I don't know how isolated this issue is but it is something to get looked at and hopefully you're still under warranty.
June 28, 2011 05:40AM
Thanks for reporting back Seth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics