The Final Cut Pro X Bug List

Posted by Jon Chappell 
Re: The Final Cut Pro X Bug List
October 01, 2011 11:50AM
The 10.0.1 update has broken several of my custom effects and even one built-in FCPX (so far). The Mask effect (located in the Keyer category) doesn't work on SD footage for me, and others have reported it not working on any footage. The OSC controls are frozen in place and cannot be moved.

In addition, the update has broken keyframe animation for several custom-made effects. This might indicate that all custom effects might need to be re-built from the ground up in the new version each time FCPX does an update. Or at least until the program has gone through a few more updates and isn't as fragile as it is now.

Andy
October 02, 2011 12:39PM
It's likely that they'll continue making changes to the FxPlug SDK for several versions to come. Some developers are unable to convert their FCP 7 plugins to FCP X because of bugs and missing features.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
October 02, 2011 12:42PM
Perhaps, but by custom effects, I'm referring to effects produced in Motion for use in FCPX. The update has broken some of the compatibility between Motion and FCP.
October 02, 2011 12:49PM
Geez, don't Apple's Final Cut engineers ever test their own work before releasing it?

steve-sharksdelight
October 02, 2011 12:56PM
Steve Douglas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geez, don't Apple's Final Cut engineers ever test
> their own work before releasing it?

I suspect they do but they are sacrificing things on the alter of change/improvement. I think this speaks to the immature state it was released at. It's why I've said it's alpha software. Feature implementation (including SDKs, APIs, XML) was/is still under development. I suspect (hope) Apple is pushing very hard to get that under the hood stuff done because that's really were FCPX will live or die.

Basically FCPX is still at the stage where bug fixes and feature implementation may break other things.
October 02, 2011 02:07PM
> Basically FCPX is still at the stage where bug fixes and feature implementation
> may break other things.

And that erodes confidence even more. And makes it not worth it to attempt to incorporate this software. If I have to throw out what I learn about a software every few months just because the developer can't get its act together, I'm moving to something else.

FCPX has only been out for a few months and all these problems were immediately spotted by the users. Apple simply didn't test this thing properly. No, they should not have released this "alpha", period. Not to meet a deadline, not to catch the 64-bit wave. You don't release fatally flawed product just to show you're releasing products, and when the flaws are detected, you have to fix them (see Toyota). In my view, they should recall FCPX and give a refund to everybody.

www.derekmok.com
October 02, 2011 02:15PM
derekmok Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FCPX has only been out for a few months and all
> these problems were immediately spotted by the
> users. Apple simply didn't test this thing
> properly. No, they should not have released this
> "alpha", period. Not to meet a deadline, not to
> catch the 64-bit wave. You don't release fatally
> flawed product just to show you're releasing
> products, and when the flaws are detected, you
> have to fix them (see Toyota). In my view, they
> should recall FCPX and give a refund to everybody.

Actually from all the folks I've talked to, Apple DID test this software properly. They simply chose to ignore the production feedback from many of the beta testers. Dozens and dozens of things that were suggested in order for the product to work in a professional environment were ignored.

In other words, Apple used the Beta Testing to try to convince the users that the product was the correct way for the industry to move, rather than listening to the industry on which direction the product should go. Apple released the product they fully intended to release.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
October 02, 2011 02:40PM
From a few conversations I can confirm what Walter said.

Andreas
October 02, 2011 02:42PM
Like many, I got my copy of Avid. I'm quite comfortable with it. Switching really isn't hard once I get my head into the modes, and after a while, I kind of like going into modes. Fine cutting an edit is even faster in Avid than in FCP, where you need the mouse to get into trim mode.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 02, 2011 02:45PM
It is a fine political line for many beta testers. In order to really confirm this you would have to have those who made suggestions before its release actually come out and say what suggestions they made and which were ignored. I am sure that no one at Apple would admit to ignoring suggestions and requests so it would be up to the testers themselves to state that and that is something I have not seen. Otherwise, it is all conjecture; probably true but still conjecture.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 02, 2011 02:59PM
Steve Douglas Wrote:
I am sure that no
> one at Apple would admit to ignoring suggestions
> and requests so it would be up to the testers
> themselves to state that and that is something I
> have not seen.

Beta testers can't talk, period so you will not see any of them come out publicly and state anything. I used to be a beta tester for Apple years ago and the NDA is pretty rock solid.

But I can assure, what I posted here is not conjecture in the least.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
October 02, 2011 03:03PM
strypes
Fine cutting an edit is even faster in Avid than in FCP, where you need the mouse to get into trim mode.

CMD+7 to enter trim mode on FCP. No mouse needed.

Andy
October 02, 2011 03:06PM
You're right Walter; I momentarily forgot all the NDAs I have had to sign in the past, just not for Apple tho
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
October 02, 2011 03:43PM
>CMD+7 to enter trim mode on FCP. No mouse needed.

Whoa! Nice! When did that shortcut come in?

www.strypesinpost.com
October 02, 2011 06:58PM
Not sure, I've been using it for years.

Andy
October 03, 2011 08:55AM
Trimming was one of the hardest things to figure out when I came to FCP 2 from 8 years on AVID. I can't remember how long I have been using Cmd-7 but it is strongly in muscle memory.
AVID still does complex trims far better than FCP.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
October 03, 2011 10:56AM
Yea. I do find the overwrite, insert and double roller trims to be a bit too much on an Avid, because it's really either a double roller or an A or B trim. Overwrite trim is just a double roller trim, while A/B "insert" trims are ripple trims.

www.strypesinpost.com
October 03, 2011 11:44AM
On AVID though you can shift click to add trim heads. So one could ripple extend a clip while sliding the SndFX along under it and doing any number of other simultaneous trims in one gesture.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
November 07, 2011 07:40PM
It might technically not be a bug - but it's so dumb that I can't believe the FCPX developer team was letting this one slip through.

When you copy and paste effects, all audio volume keyframes on the new clip get erased.

I just found that one out the hard way after spending an hour fine tuning the dialogue of my cut with keyframes and everything. Then I wanted to copy and paste a few color correction effects from clip to clip. Bye-bye audio keyframes! Since when are audio keyframes effects? I have no problems copying ALL effects for now and then manually deleting the ones I don't want on the new clip - but come on! Don't erase audio volume keyframes!

Let's hope they'll surprise us and bring back "paste attributes" in 10.0.2. This should have never been left out...
Final Cut Pro X .MXF import bug
March 29, 2012 11:34PM
Found a bug. I'm using a Panasonic AG-HVX200, it saves the files as a .MXF file. When trying to import the footage into Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3, FCP X will not reconize the .MXF files and will not copy the footage to the FCP Event Brower. After spending around 5 hours researching a solution the only one I could could come up with is to convert the files using a 3rd party software into a .MOV file then import them into FCP X.

PLEASE if anyone can help or give some advice on this situation I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
PJ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics