App Store not seeing Final Cut Pro X store purchase

Posted by craig seeman 
App Store not seeing Final Cut Pro X store purchase
June 27, 2011 12:20PM
I'll preface this that I am not one of those ranting about FCPX. I think it shows promise despite Apple bungling the release as professionally capable app. No facility let alone individual Pro can trust the App Store to reliably authorize work stations.

App Store not seeing Final Cut Pro X store purchase.

This is uniformly a UNRELIABLE way to make a professional purchase. While Motion and Compressor show INSTALLED, Final Cut Pro still shows the price. Going to my Purchase history does not show the purchase for any of the three Apps. I now can't risking installing them on a second computer.

Additionally, if I go to Purchased in the App Store, none of the three apps show as purchased.

Apple does not provide live App Store purchase support. I had to fight like hell (avoid answering any of their automated phone support questions) to get to a live Customer Service Rep. After explaining the details, they had no recommendation beyond, "Use email support for App Store purchases." After telling them that wasn't acceptable, especially for a supposed Pro App from someone who must do additional installs. they've escalated and I'm waiting for a call back.

First call back from them was to suggest that I try to authorize the computer through iTunes. That failed to register FCPX as purchased though. They continue to investigate.

I like the potential of FCPX but even if it were ready to go as a professional NLE, this is simply NOT the way a facility can trust making a purchase for multiple seats.

____
As a side note, when I made the purchase, my credit card called me to confirm that it was legit because they were suspicious of a $300 iTunes purchase. Apparently Apple's info to the credit card companies indicates it as an iTunes purchase and they were rightfully unsure that someone was making a $300 music download.

___
I'm wondering if any of you have experienced any of this:
1) Request to verify purchase from your credit card company
2) Not being listed under Purchased in the App Store
3) Not showing as INSTALLED when viewing the product page in the App Store
Re: App Store not seeing Final Cut Pro X store purchase
June 27, 2011 12:43PM
I didn't experience #1 but I experienced the other two.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 27, 2011 12:49PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't experience #1 but I experienced the other
> two.

My credit card company (a major one you'd recognize) is obviously being cautious. I don't fault them that.
The other two are flaws in how the App Store stores and registered product information which has to be deleterious for any business. That Apple makes it difficult to get live customer service to resolve this makes it worse.

Did you resolve it or are you still seeing issues 2 and 3?
June 27, 2011 01:11PM
Strange... I just checked and I can now see all of them in the Purchased tab. Weird.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
June 27, 2011 01:13PM
In my case my Apple ID was linked to my PayPal account. They shot it down as well, and I had to link to a credit card to complete the transaction. Like you I have issues 2 and 3.
June 27, 2011 02:26PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
> Strange... I just checked and I can now see all of
> them in the Purchased tab. Weird.

Not for me (yet). When you look in the store does FCP have a price below it or the words INSTALLED?
It seems they have some serious App Store bugs.
June 27, 2011 02:27PM
Same problem here in the UK, instant phone call from my Mastercard's computer. Because iTunes and app store are not registered in the UK they show up as offshore internet purchase and anything over about $15 is blocked until agreed over the phone. But the download was underway before I finished certifying the sale - it's now showing as 'installed' in the purchases tab but in the main store I still get invites to buy it, again.

Phil Ashby
June 27, 2011 02:29PM
craig seeman Wrote:
> Not for me (yet). When you look in the store does
> FCP have a price below it or the words INSTALLED?

FCPX lists the price. Motion and Compressor say "INSTALLED."

My software:
More tools...
June 27, 2011 07:42PM
I had problem 2 and 3 too, but it resolved after a few hours. Took nearly a day to get a receipt though, which was a worry since I hadn't bought it for me and it's hell getting money out of large corporations and Gov institutions without a solid reciept.

Here's another question - does anyone know if you can have two installs of the same copy? Like, one at work and one at home? Or one on a workstation and one on a laptop? If so, how do you download it twice?

June 27, 2011 08:04PM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
> I had problem 2 and 3 too, but it resolved after a
> few hours. Took nearly a day to get a receipt
> though, which was a worry since I hadn't bought it
> for me and it's hell getting money out of large
> corporations and Gov institutions without a solid
> reciept.
>
> Here's another question - does anyone know if you
> can have two installs of the same copy? Like, one
> at work and one at home? Or one on a workstation
> and one on a laptop? If so, how do you download it
> twice?

That's the main reason for getting this issue resolved. Yes you're supposed to be able to use this on your other workstations. You should be able to login to your App Store account with your Apple ID.

My problem is that FCPX does not show as purchased and whether I'd attempt to authorize or download it thinks I'm making another purchase because it show no acknowledgment of the actual purchase.

I just got an email from Apple's support saying this issue is "escalated" but it will take a few days to resolve.
A FEW DAYS!

I'm not one to rant but this is simply NOT ACCEPTABLE for a "PROFESSIONAL" application. I have the option of either suffering downtime or making the purchase and immediately contacting my credit card company to stop the payment once I get the app authorized.
June 27, 2011 08:48PM
From memory I did have to click on the download twice. The second time there was a brief animation of it going from the app store to the apps folder, but I remember not being sure if I had just missed that the first time I clicked it. I wasn't very worried at the time because I figured it couldn't install twice on the same machine.

But I was only charged once. Wait, let me check that .. yes, just one charge on my credit card. Annoyingly, it's $349.99, even though our dollar is currently higher than yours and there's not exactly any import or delivery fees, but there you go.

June 27, 2011 09:09PM
Annoyingly, it's $349.99, even though our dollar is currently higher than yours and there's not exactly any import or delivery fees, but there you go.

Americans do that on purpose casue we know Aussies don't do math well. smoking smiley

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 27, 2011 09:11PM
Oh, I always thought you do it to punish us cause we have all the good stuff like kangaroos and the Sydney Opera House and Mel Gibson.

June 27, 2011 09:21PM
Well WE have Mel Gibson now. But got to admit we are jealous of your kangaroos, Sydney Opera House and all those poisionious sakes and spiders and fish and sharks and lizards and other creepy crawly things. And your excellent wine

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 27, 2011 09:31PM
Ah see, you THINK you've got Mel Gibson, but actually WE have the REAL Mel here working as Dorothy the Dinosaur in the Wiggles. We take children's programming seriously here. The guy you've got is a fakey Mel we had made in Bali shortly after Mad Max II.

June 27, 2011 09:34PM
That explains a LOT.

My software:
More tools...
June 28, 2011 01:07AM
OK. I just gave a shot to downloading another copy of FCPX to a computer at my house. After a series of worrying steps where it seemed like the app store would be charging me again, it finally began to download and in the 'purchased' section I can see that it says I purchased it on the 22nd of June - 6 days ago. So it seems as if you can download a new copy under your Apple ID to another computer as long as you verify everything on the new computer.

I did get an email telling me I had made a purchase on a new computer, but the app store itself doesn't seem to have charged me again. I'll let you know if a new charge arises.

June 28, 2011 02:09AM
Thanks for taking the financial risk. Let us know what happens.

I've been tempted to do it and call my credit card company and stop the charge immediately afterwards to preemptively prevent the bill.
June 28, 2011 05:37AM
That's my plan if it does happen. There was not really any way to know if I was purchasing another copy or re-downloading. It did say 'install' instead of 'buy' but it asks for all your credit card details again, I guess because it wasn't my main computer. And you have to kind of agree to the purchase. Then it just downloads when you press install again.

June 28, 2011 09:34AM
Jude Cotter Wrote:
> That's my plan if it does happen. There was not
> really any way to know if I was purchasing another
> copy or re-downloading. It did say 'install'
> instead of 'buy' but it asks for all your credit
> card details again, I guess because it wasn't my
> main computer. And you have to kind of agree to
> the purchase. Then it just downloads when you
> press install again.

When I made my purchase it also said INSTALL for FCPX initially. When I clicked on install it said that FCPX was installed but not purchased from the App Store. Two days later it changed back to the purchase price.

Click on INSTALL and tell me if you get a popup warning that it wasn't purchased at the App Store . . . which is a bit insane since there is no other way to purchase.

It's almost as if the system thinks you've copied it from another computer and haven't authorized it. Apple thought the same thing when I contacted them and they suggested trying to authorize through the iTunes store, which had no effect. I spoke to them three times on the phone and then they said they'd escalate but that had to be through email (that's escalation?) since that's the only support available for the App Store.

Sorry but this is NOT the way a PROFESSIONAL app purchase issue should be handled.

Please do try clicking on INSTALL.
Also check to see if your credit card shows any pending purchases.

Thanks for checking. Sadly I don't know of any other recourse with Apple since their Customer Service ranks a professional purchase with the same priority as a 99¢ iTunes song purchase.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics