fcpx and prores question

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
fcpx and prores question
June 27, 2011 04:28PM
one system i use frequently is a v5 fcs system. being v5, we have no prores capability in rendering a project. i
had been planning on bringing all of our systems into line with each other by upgrading everything with the new
final cut release. then came all of this turmoil about lack of features and compatibility. this prompts one question
for me: if i upgrade the v5 system to fcpx, does prores render capability come with it? or, is that now obtained
in another way? is there any way other than an upgrade of final cut to obtain prores rendering capability? if i
upgrade to get prores with fcpx, will my v5 fcs be able to make use of it? i guess it prompted more than one
question.

thanks,
BabaG
Re: fcpx and prores question
June 27, 2011 04:40PM
After you download FCPX you run software update and you get to download the additional codecs. I have no idea if ProRes would become available with FCP5, almost certainly not for editing, but possibly for exporting.

All the best,

Tom
June 27, 2011 05:57PM
back in the day when i had both FCP5 and FCP6 on my system,
i got acces to the ProRes codecs in FCP5.
yes, i could create ProRes timelines!
i did quite a bit of Compositing in a FCP5 project using ProRes timelines

there was a gamma shift in the image between playing and not playing:
from memory, when not playing the image got a bit darker.
i wasn't doing any Colour Correction, so it wasn't a problem

i have no idea if the same thing will work with FCP5 an FCPX

nick
June 27, 2011 06:20PM
Interesting. Thanks for that Nick.

All the best,

Tom
June 27, 2011 09:45PM
If the codec is installed on the system you should be able to access it in older versions of FCP. However, be aware that there will be no RT support so you'll have to render everything.

Also, FCPX requires you to have ProKit 7.0 and at least OS X 10.6.7, which could cause problems with older versions of FCP.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics