Export times

Posted by Jude Cotter 
Export times
June 30, 2011 01:09AM
Just for reference, right now I am exporting a short (5.30) interview from FCPX *before* it's finished transcoding in the background. This is an ingest machine, so not at all powerful. I'd like to hear from people working on better specced machines.

This is just a single storyline with 12 overlay clips on the, erm, second storyline, which I had to add in order to add cross dissolves on the second stream or track or whatever it is.

The source was H.264, cut into a Prores timeline.

Exporting right from the timeline without any changes took about 9 minutes.
Exporting from the timeline converting to H.264 for the web took about 8 minutes. Not in the right frame size though, so I'll still have to run it through MPEG Streamclip.

Re: Export times
June 30, 2011 01:21AM
When I went to quit FCPX informed that it wasn't done with background tasks and that quitting would lose them. Which is interesting, given I've already exported and finished. Also, while that dialogue was open I started FCP7 and once I cancelled the FCPX alert I could run both at the same time. So, yeah, interesting. I have a screenshot of both up at the same time, but no screencapture, but right now I can switch from one to the other and they both work fine. Tried copy-psting and option-dragging from one to the other just for fun but, not surprisingly, no go lol.

June 30, 2011 01:27AM
First I've heard of anyone doing this. Can you do again without the first couple steps?

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 30, 2011 02:25AM
Which steps Mike?

June 30, 2011 02:29AM
The part where you were exporting and that dialogue came up

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 30, 2011 02:33AM
Oh right, I actually did this once before and Jon said it was probably because the application was stalled with a crash. I just tried it now with FCPX open and trying to open FCP7 and it doesn't work. FCPX wants to quit and locks up. It's only if you fool it by it being busy telling you something in an alert while you open FCP 7 that it works.

June 30, 2011 02:40AM
Oh well crap

Michael Horton
-------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics