aatranslator and fcp x

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
aatranslator and fcp x
July 02, 2011 07:12PM
michael at aatranslator is interested in looking at an fcpx project file to see what might be involved in
working with it in aatranslator or, possibly, creating something new to handle conversions. i don't yet
have fcpx because of the many previously discussed missing functions. i have been looking at tutorials,
though, and am glad to see some of the streamlining that has occurred. how might i go about getting
a simple project, something like three clips on the timeline, to michael?

for anyone interested who doesn't know, aatranslator is a conversion utility for jumping between audio
workstations. it also handles fcp xml files (pre x). here's their site:

[www.aatranslator.com.au]

thanks,
BabaG
Re: aatranslator and fcp x
July 02, 2011 08:21PM
Here's a project using three clips.

The three clips look like this in the timeline.

Is there anything else you need to know about this project?

A

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
July 02, 2011 08:47PM
Here's the resulting QuickTime movie.

The audio tracks from the three clips I used.

You should understand that Final Cut Pro X has no concept of fixed video or audio tracks. The timeline displays each track at a different height based on where the clip is in the timeline. For a video about this, go to Apple's site.

Not documented in the help system or manual is a sound-related metadata tag called 'Audio Role':

All the clips used in this sample project were auto-tagged as 'Dialogue.'

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
July 02, 2011 11:57PM
This software sounds amazing. It looks as if it can make a pro- tools session from an XML.

I really think you need to Demo this software at the next lafcpug meeting. Even Pre X integration, this looks like an awesome tool.
July 03, 2011 01:32AM
Ethan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This software sounds amazing. It looks as if it
> can make a pro- tools session from an XML.
>
> I really think you need to Demo this software at
> the next lafcpug meeting. Even Pre X integration,
> this looks like an awesome tool.

Ethan, the software IS pretty amazing and we are constantly working to improve it.
We can convert an FCP 'sequence' xml (not a 'project' one) to either an OMF or a PT5 (readable by all PT versions from 5 to 9).
The PT5 format is preferable as OMF is so limited in what it stores (eg no markers, bpm, etc)
As much as we would love to, being based in Sydney, Australia its unlikely that we would be in a position to demo it at the next lafcpug meeting winking smiley

AATranslator is extremely simple to use and the documentation is detailed (though I suspect few read it LOL).

Feel free to contact me via the AATranslator website if you would like some test xmls converted or should you require more info

Thanks
Michael

July 03, 2011 01:35AM
Thanks Alex4D for the resources and info.

I have had a quick look and as usual anything to do with Apple or Avid/Dodgy always seems far too complex than it needs to be.

We have a lot on our plate at present but lets see how we go.
July 06, 2011 08:11PM
runaway Wrote:
> AATranslator is extremely simple to use and the
> documentation is detailed (though I suspect few
> read it LOL).

> Thanks
> Michael

Hi, I'm the sucker who writes the documentation and am, I guess, a similarly large distance from LA, in London UK.

Michael, I and a couple of other guys spend stupidly large amounts of time on the quest to allow users to truly "own" the projects/sessions they create. To not be slaves, tied to the software they used to create what they do.

A number of our customers use our FCP read/write capabilities, and seem pretty happy. They also help us by providing files & feedback.

It is totally beyond our means to own every version of every piece of software relevant to what we do.
So please, send us FCP-XML projects, with screen shots of how it should be & details as to the media used (which we can do without) & the vers of FCP used.

send to
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics