LAYERING VIDEO AND TEXT

Posted by slomoray 
LAYERING VIDEO AND TEXT
July 03, 2011 06:20PM
With Final Cut Pro X I was wondering if it has the capability to layer video like older versions of FCP. I believe it's up to 99 layers. I've looked and haven't had much luck. Also in FCP X is one forced to used their text templates or can one create his own text with it own distinct look and timing much like in older versions of FCP?

Thank,
Ray
Re: LAYERING VIDEO AND TEXT
July 03, 2011 06:43PM
Yep you can overlay video - its pretty darn quick (depending on your CPU/GPUs) and I get realtime 1080p playback of a lot of layers with transformations and composite modes on my 8core Xeon with GTX285 even mixing H.264, ProRes and XDCAM codecs.

I haven't played much with the text tools much but as far as I know you can make your own templates.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 03, 2011 06:44PM
You can create your own templates using Motion.

I was told that no one actually knows how many layers the project can hold. They stacked them up and gave up at some point; there were too many and lost count. There's probably some limit based on your computer capabilities.

All the best,

Tom
July 04, 2011 06:47AM
As regards text, as well as the 'LOOK I'M A TITLE' title generators, there are some simple ones which you can set typeface, colour and size of your type. They're perhaps more useful for overlaying onto video.

Alex

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
July 04, 2011 07:48AM
I've just been playing with the text tools - very customisable - very easy - very pretty...

But even simple text overlay makes the storyline chug until its rendered. Annoying!

[FYI I'm running with background rendering off to see how much realtime the new engine affords on my system]

Have fed back to Apple asking for a performance increase on basic text - jeez if they can do realtime multiply composite mode with a skew and key-framed transformation with video why the hell can't they make text handling as slick!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 04, 2011 04:39PM
With text I generally like to create my own, even if it's simple, because of where I want it on the screen, how I want it to move, and sometimes, how I want it to interact with other layered text. Can FCP X employ several layers of text together? I don't have FCP X yet, but have tried to do extensive internet searching for these answer before I buy it, but not always with much luck. I'm more of an amateur editor, but come to this site often because I respect many of the opinions and ideas here. You are a very talented and creative group.
Thanks,
Ray
July 04, 2011 04:53PM
Hey Ray

Yes you can and if you get Motion as well you can create your own templates that are editable (such as text input) directly in FCPX.

You can also layer text and images as with FCP7 et al.

Photoshop PSDs do work including transparency but not currently multi-layered it simply loads flattened.

July 04, 2011 05:02PM
...Oh and Ray - it doesn't matter what level of editor you are here - as long as you are respectful of each other and maybe bring something to the table in terms of your experience or share something you've found if others are asking for answers.

Its what made the FCP community great - its what everyone else is now emulating in all other NLEs.

There was a time Avid editors wouldn't even pee on each other if they were on fire for fear of someone "stealing the knowledge"...

...thankfully now we can all talk to each other albeit through gritted teeth and when chained to the edit desk to stop any physical altercations.

tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics