Poor text performance

Posted by Ben King 
Poor text performance
July 10, 2011 12:56PM
In FCP7 I can put basic text (without shadow) over video and playback in realtime

In FCPX I can put basic text over video and get choppy frame dropping playback until the text is rendered.

Considering FCPX's other really powerful realtime capabilities I am pretty annoyed that the basic stuff is not!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Re: Poor text performance
July 10, 2011 04:05PM
Ten years of development (FCP 7) against "iMovie Pro". That's the reason.

--
Christoph Vonrhein
[www.chv-plugins.com]
July 12, 2011 07:49AM
You need to bung a bigger badder video card in there Ben. All this stuff is handled there now a la Motion ... from the ProAppsDev list :

Keep in mind that all processing is now either 16 bit per channel in hardware, or 32-bit per channel in software, and it's always color managed, so we're doing a lot more work than we did in Motion 2. As such, we do have higher system requirements than in the past.
July 12, 2011 08:11AM
Are you suggesting my GPU isn't up to scratch?

Bigger and badder than the GTX285 is not currently available outside of a Hackintosh... even the 4000 wouldn't beat it in a lot of tests and certainly not in the ProApps.

I know ProApps are more optimised for the AMD GPUs but even the 5870 isn't that much faster than my 285!

Until Apple release the AMD 6990 or 6970 as an option and Nvidia decide to start writing Mac drivers for their 580/590 and wot not we are stuck with overkill on "basic" text handling.

So back to my whinge...

Basic text in realtime please. Multiple GPU processing please... GCD distributed Processing over Thunderbolt/Ethernet/FireWire

...and whilst you are at it - more options on GPUs for Mac Pros please.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
July 12, 2011 09:35AM
Barefeats has done some GPU testing with the new apps.

Motion 5 GPU tests.
[barefeats.com]

FCPX Mac system tests.
[barefeats.com]
July 12, 2011 09:57AM
As I said if you see the playback on the GTX285 (no rendering) is about 28fps so why the sluggish playback in FCPX?

Still not happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics