The Empire Strikes Back (well Apple that is)

Posted by craig seeman 
The Empire Strikes Back (well Apple that is)
July 22, 2011 02:52PM
Apple posted these four video making head to head comparisons of FCPX features vs Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere

Faster Editing

A New Way to Organize

Motion Graphics

File Based Workflow
Re: The Empire Strikes Back (well Apple that is)
July 22, 2011 03:07PM
So where are those fe... don't get me started moody smiley
July 22, 2011 09:34PM
I am sure whoever mixes the audio would love a trackless omf ...
July 22, 2011 09:49PM
What OMF?

www.derekmok.com
July 22, 2011 10:07PM
Well what format does it export to the mix in then? Haven't toyed around with FCPX much yet.
July 22, 2011 11:18PM
The simple answer is 'it doesn't'.

July 22, 2011 11:30PM
Apple thinks professional sound mixes are old-fashioned and unnecessary. Bad sound makes people edit faster. The less dialogue you hear, the less you notice how bad the scripting is. So it saves time in the screenwriting, too.

www.derekmok.com
July 23, 2011 12:07AM
Well THAT is a no go. I think that FCPX might be to the post production world what Mark David Chapman was to the music world.
July 23, 2011 12:25AM
I like how they muck up the shortcuts in the other NLEs just to make FCP X seem faster.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 23, 2011 02:07AM
I like the new tapeless workflows. Cant wait to actually have them.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 23, 2011 03:23AM
re: OMF and tracks:

Automatic Duck do make a translation tool for getting on OMF out of FCPX.
[www.automaticduck.com]
i dont now much (anything) about it, but it obviously IS possible to translate FCPX's trackless environment into a tracked one.

it just now costs an extra $500 dollars to do it.

nick
July 23, 2011 08:04AM
Hmm,

You always need (needed) plugins, external apps for any NLE to match your workflow.
With FCPX it is the same.
So no real complain about that.

With FCP7 me and others used 3rd party plugins to edit different flavors of mxf files natively. Worked fine but - as said - needed an additional investment.
The 'file based video says' that you can start editing right away, that's nice.
But why the hell does FCP duplicate the Prores files from an Alexa folder, ignoring metadata and changing the name. Some of the files even are causing an error - even though they play fine in all other applications. Same with P2 - funny naming and copy files with most of the metadata lost.
Canon and GoPro files work fine using an alias, same as some fun iPad videos.
But there is again a "but" - I had project which used clips as any project does, started FCPX and a lot of these alias files did show up as offline. Normally not a problem - but with FCPX even on a clean install I did not find a way to reconnect as obviously FCPX does write the alias file a bit different. If I tried to fix the alias in most cases the Finder crashes.

Same with audio. Meanwhile most of the NLEs accept basic BWAV metadata - FCPX doesn't. For me that's not a real file based workflow. Using the Audio View setup there is no Scene/Take/Note thing implemented.

The Motion workflow is great. Anybody can build or modify effects without knowing anything about programming.
But also here is a "But" - if the clips were I for example have attached a subtitle are offline, the subtitles are offline as well. I even can't edit or copy them anymore. Depending on the level of these subtitles they make even an online clip invisible.
But there is a good thing with the text tools. As said they will overwrite any level below. There was post from somebody who made obviously the same experience I made. He said make an empty text effect, put it on any level and use effects on this 'text' to make it work like an adjustment layer like in AE.

Anyway, the marketing videos are really good marketing videos and may attract a real lot of new customers - but maybe also cause losing some customers.
FCPX for 300$ is nothing, if it fits the job you are doing. Still needs the time to get familiar with it and learn - would be the same (in many cases) if you switch.
Currently FCPX is an island. There might be additional costs, which may sum up to quite a high amount to make bridges for your workflow. But you still have your - now beloved - FCP<X.

Andreas
July 23, 2011 10:42PM
Good points, Andreas.

>it just now costs an extra $500 dollars to do it.

An NLE that costs an additional $500 bucks to send your edit to the audio mixer... I wonder what Apple was smoking.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 23, 2011 11:51PM
>>You always need (needed) plugins, external apps for any NLE to match your workflow.<<

Yes, but not to go to sound or colour departments. That was always OMF or XML (or EDL, for the older audience)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics