A great review of history and the future

Posted by Momo 
A great review of history and the future
August 06, 2011 03:27PM
Re: A great review of history and the future
August 08, 2011 02:55PM
I was at this event. Evan Schechtman of Outpost Digital (50 FCP seats and 30 of which now also have FCPX) has a very reasonable assessment and has a good understanding of FCPX. It seems anyone with that assessment is a pariah these days though.
August 08, 2011 03:32PM
He did the same presentation at our Atlanta Cutters events, though he had to shorten it quite a bit to fit into the 20 minute alloted time.

He's a very nice guy, awesome presenter, and with 100 seats of FCP, he definitely has a lot to gain by waiting out Apple to see where they go from here. His presentation did nothing to change my mind about FCPX or Apple.

But we actually want to bring him back down here to Atlanta to discuss the business side of things. From a new company to locations in four countries in 10 years, that's very very impressive.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
August 09, 2011 09:54AM
Great presentation....Apple should have hired him to premiere FCPX. Actually learned what it can do and how to translate what you know in FCP to the X program --

Apple could have avoided this heartburn by not killing FCP studio -- offering some kind of translation (as the presenter indicates IS possible) and showing pros how to make it work. Real Time audio mixing is essential too
August 09, 2011 10:22AM
Andy Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Apple could have avoided this heartburn by not
> killing FCP studio -- offering some kind of
> translation (as the presenter indicates IS
> possible) and showing pros how to make it work.
> Real Time audio mixing is essential too

What he says is that someone like Wes Plate might be able to create a translation tool to make it happen. Saying it can be done and actually creating something are two different things. Apple said it's not possible because of the change in the overall structure of X. It will be interesting to see if someone proves them wrong, but I've heard the same from many other folks who know a lot more than me.

Moving a Sequence forward should be completely do-able, but moving the entire project forward is near impossible from what I've been told.

I'm looking forward to inviting Evan down for more presentation at our Cutters meetings though. GREAT presenter and equally nice guy.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
August 09, 2011 07:04PM
I just watched his video, what a great presenter.
Even if not everybody agrees with his point of view, he presents facts and doesn't go straight into panic mode. And what is most important, he is looking forward, regardless if the (FCP) future is looking comfortable or stressful.

Edgar Rothermich
(MacPro 8core, 16GM RAM, Fireface800, Euphonix MC Control, Logic Pro, FCPx)
www.DingDingMusic.com
August 10, 2011 07:12AM
If, and it's a big if, Apple wanted to keep anyone involved in more high-end post production happy, it would be Evan - hence his quote on screen at the NAB sneak peek.

Therefore he has as valid insights as anyone who can go on record about the future of FCP. Having spent a day with him at Outpost Digital back in 2007, I know that he would drop Apple software at a moment's notice if it was right for his business. No sentiment there.

alex4d on twitter, facebook, .wordpress.com + .com
August 14, 2011 04:18PM
Good presentation. Not that I agree with all of his points. For one, I disagree with his point on tape capture.

Tape protocols are pretty much standardized. You have RS422 for deck control, SDI, HD SDI and 3G SDI for the video and audio signal. I won't even care if FCP doesn't support analog signals, since you can always get an A/D converter. The problem is when you have an edit sequence or a batch list and you need to re-capture from tape or have your NLE do a re-capture with handles. There is no 3rd party capture software that can let you do that, as far as I know. Wait, there is... Premiere, Avid, Lightworks, and just about every major NLE except for FCP X. The ability to be backward compatible is very important in the professional world. There are shows that are remastered from film, movies that are remastered from film, and maybe in the future, films that are finished in 2K may be re-mastered in 4K. What would be Apple's solution to that? Re-shoot and re-edit Seinfeld?

And also, for all it's worth, shot size detection (aka find people) is virtually useless in a day to day editing scenario. It makes a cool demo, but then again, so does PhraseFind, which is actually useful.

That said, there are some tools which shows good promise, but more, a lot more needs to be done before anyone can consider it ready for pro release. And maybe then, the new paradigm shift may not stir the hornet's nest.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics