Digital8 audio out of sync

Posted by ccarlson 
Digital8 audio out of sync
August 11, 2011 08:45PM
Short of manually realigning audio with video in chunks, is there any way to resynchronize captured Digital8 video with its audio? I've found that things can get out of sync with long clips.
Re: Digital8 audio out of sync
August 11, 2011 09:12PM
Are you in FCPX or FCP Legacy?

August 12, 2011 12:54AM
>Are you in FCPX or FCP Legacy?

It is also known as "FCP Classic". FCPX does not do capture except from dv, HDV and dvcprohd.

No. If your machine is set up right, you do not lose sync on capture. I often capture hour long films with no drift in sync.

www.strypesinpost.com
August 12, 2011 05:01AM
Yeah I only asked because this question was posted in both forums and I wondered if it was captured on another machine but trying to edit in FCPX. Obviously the resync options are different in the two different softwares.

Did you capture yourself ccarlson? If so, did you leave the computer and let the capture continue after the video signal had finished? In my experience this sometimes causes sync drift.

August 12, 2011 07:24AM
Thanks for the responses.

I'm working with FCPX, and the video in question was originally set to capture and let run. I'm not sure how far past the end of the recording the camcorder ran before I realized there was no signal and stopped the capture, but it did run with no signal for some amount of time.

If it's as simple as ensuring that there's signal, would a possible workaround be to record a black, no-audio video to an entire tape before using it, so there's always signal as long as there's tape?

(As for posting in both forums: I'm not seeing my post in the Café LA message index, but I apologize if it somehow showed up there.)
August 12, 2011 07:27AM
The Digital8 camcorder presents itself as DV. The codec used is identical, so there's no difference at the digital level--it's only different on the physical side of things.
August 12, 2011 08:16AM
I think all you need to do is be there to stop the capture at the end of signal. There's not really any point in doing all that extra work. It doesn't matter if you miss the end by a few seconds, really, its only when it goes for quite a while where I've seen it happen.

I haven't seen this happen in FCPX yet, but to be fair I haven't captured from tape on it, so I have no idea if this behaviour continues in X, or if it was only in FCP classic/legacy/the prequel.

August 12, 2011 09:40AM
I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

If, for whatever reason, I'm not able to re-capture the video, would detaching the audio and retiming it work?
August 12, 2011 10:20AM
I have had this problem with Digital 8 if there were timecode breaks (start stop). Drove me batty as it was one of those freebee favor jobs that I ended up spending way too much time on because I couldn't capture the whole tape. Just capture around the breaks if there are any.

Steve

FCPX
FCP 7.0.3
Premier CS6

MBP Retina 2.6i7 16GB / iMac 27" 3.4i7 16GB
August 12, 2011 07:09PM
You can slip the sync, yes, but if it's slipping over a long period, it's usually not a constant offset, so you end up having to make adjustments all the way. Multiple TC breaks like Steve says can also cause this.

A way to slip sync in FCPX, though, is to select the clip in the timeline, and go to Clip > Detach Audio. This breaks the audio off the video. Now you can select the audio track and drag it, or type + or - with numbers to move it by precise amounts.

The problem with this, as far as I recall, is there isn't a proper way to rejoin the two once you've finished syncing them. You can select them both, right click and choose 'make compound clip' but I'm not sure what additional problems, if any, this could cause. I'm not saying it will cause problems, I just don't know all the rules that apply to compound clips.

August 13, 2011 09:28PM
Thanks a ton for the quick replies!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics