FCPX 10.0.1 is out

Posted by craig seeman 
Re: FCPX 10.0.1 is out
September 20, 2011 11:39AM
There's also Motion 5.0.1 which adds support for dual displays and several bug fixes.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 20, 2011 11:41AM
Create New Project now asks you for a start timecode. So we can now get back to 58:xx:xx and 59:xx:xx for bars and slates, countdowns.

Export Roles seems to allow audio files tagged with specific purpose (e.g. Dialogue) to be exported in various forms.

I'm not sure if Export Image Sequence is new but I see options like DPX amongst other choices there.
September 20, 2011 11:44AM
I see Import XML as well as Export XML and also Add and Remove SAN.

If only this would have been the 1.0 release. People would still be concerned but there's enough there for people to pause and see where this is headed.
September 20, 2011 11:46AM
Damnit. Tucson always gets the updates first!

LOL! Yeah, and we also get 112 degrees temperatures in the summer. You what'a trade?
September 20, 2011 11:49AM
Jon, arent you a bit of an XML Guru? Someone explain to me how this XML IMPORT might work in X. I thought that was impossible? Or is this import simply support for Resolve CatDV and other VFX apps? Certainly not FCP 7? only had one coffee so forgive the question.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 11:50AM
My theory is that they rushed it to beat Lion to market. If you release it after a new OS you're expected to support all of the new features of that OS. People are more forgiving about software that takes three months to be compatible with a new OS if it came out before the new OS shipped. I know this because I've done it myself.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
September 20, 2011 11:51AM
'still think they should call it Imovie pro to be honest . . .

Bluey,
September 20, 2011 11:52AM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jon, arent you a bit of an XML Guru? Someone
> explain to me how this XML IMPORT might work in X.
> I thought that was impossible? Or is this import
> simply support for Resolve CatDV and other VFX
> apps? Certainly not FCP 7? only had one coffee so
> forgive the question.

I can't answer this question in much detail because I still can't see it in the App Store but from what I've heard they've created a new XML format that is not compatible with the old format. I have a suspicion that they've left it up to third-parties to work out how to convert from one to the other.

My software:
More tools...
September 20, 2011 12:21PM
This isn't a "MAJOR UPDATE"...it's damage control. You still need a 3rd party app to bring in the XML as well. This will quiet a few people that have been screaming for XML but they STILL do not have Broadcast Monitoring (which should have been there since day 1). What good is all you do without seeing it in highest quality before output??? Ridiculous IMHO.

Nope...I am still on the "not purchasing yet" fence.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

September 20, 2011 12:38PM
Broadcast Monitoring and Multicam are coming in 2012. This flavor if XML is quite different than the old it seems. I'm guessing Philip Hodgetts will be writing about it soon.

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 12:41PM
Nope...I am still on the "not purchasing yet" fence.

At $300 if it can do an AVCHD project and spit out an XML and audio with the new "Roles" feature, it can pay for itself doing one partial day tiny session. It's the price of a plugin. Purchase it. Use it on a job for a couple of hours now that it's not a "locked box" and its paid for itself. It's a viable 1.0 app now.

which should have been there since day 1

Best to keep eyes looking in front of you.
To paraphrase a famous baseball pitcher, "I don't look back because I might see what's gaining on me."

Early 2012 Multicam and Broadcast Monitoring. I really don't think Apple is lying about that. The current color sync monitoring is passable for less critical jobs (non broadcast for example).
September 20, 2011 12:51PM
How something is implemented matters more to me than how long it takes. The Roles feature indicates to me that Apple may have shot themselves in the foot due to the way they designed the app. I see it as a clunky workaround to something that worked pretty well to begin with and could have been amazing with a few minor tweaks.

I think it would have been great if FCPX kept its audio track layout and allowed you to optionally assign each track to a certain type of audio (music, dialogue, effects, etc). Then when you bring in a clip it would detect the type of audio in the file and automatically put it on the correct track. That would be great for easily keeping the audio organized on the timeline.

My software:
More tools...
September 20, 2011 01:34PM
Here be the full list of whats in 10.1

[support.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 01:35PM
>That would be great for easily keeping the audio organized on the timeline.

FCP X is not about visual organization. At least not in terms of tracks. It is about lumping stuff together and then firing off keywords to trigger certain actions. It is clear that the developers on the software aren't professional editors and at times they don't understand how editors like to work. Most editors don't just use tracks for compositing or stacking audio layers together, but we use it for visual organization.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 20, 2011 02:03PM
Seems many folks are trying to import FCP 7 into FCP X via XML and complaining it doesnt work. Of course it doesnt work. Where does it say that it does work?

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 03:10PM
A lot of people think an XML functions is like an EDL or a batch list. Thing is that it isn't. XML is in a way like a txt file. You can store an fxscript in txt or just about any form of document. XML support is just the beginnings of a collaborative workflow between FCP X and other apps. Other apps need to be able to interpret what FCP X is saying in the XML and import the data they need for the collaborative workflow to happen. So FCP X's XML is pretty much its own thing.

I am quite surprised that FCP cannot export or import a cuts and dissolve only document. Surely that couldn't have been too hard- you just needed a time locator, clip/reel name and timecode in/out of the clip.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 20, 2011 03:16PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems many folks are trying to import FCP 7 into
> FCP X via XML and complaining it doesnt work. Of
> course it doesnt work. Where does it say that it
> does work?

Nope, it doesn't say that all, you are correct. It says third party workflows.

Of course it's also not the standard XML protocol either as we are finding out. It's the new fcpxml which developers now have to write for. Apple has really backed themselves into a corner with this trackless way of editing and now they seem to be trying to figure out how to get themselves out.

Nothing in this release will make me reverse course from our current path at this time. The fact that "broadcast quality video monitoring" will be available next year is encouraging, but why almost a year after its release?

I will definitely not make any reconsiderations about X until we see where they are come April and where everybody else is by that point. At this time, from what I'm seeing, Adobe CS6 is going to be sitting in a very good position when it drops.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
September 20, 2011 03:33PM
We are going to cover this release tomorrow at DV Expo and see once and for all what it means. Register now if you want to go. We will probably go more in depth at next weeks lafcpug meet too.

[www.lafcpug.org]

[www.lafcpug.org]

Michael Horton
-------------------
September 20, 2011 03:42PM
I just wrote up a blog post with more details of the XML format which should clear things up if anyone's confused:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
More tools...
September 20, 2011 06:38PM
One thing to take into consideration is that after you download the upgrade and open projects that have been completed, it now goes through and seems to be re-rendering all the previous titles. If you only have a few titles, no problem, but on one project, it is it looks like it is going to be busy for half hour or so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics