Feather Edges??

Posted by Nddirector 
Feather Edges??
September 23, 2011 08:03PM
Hey All!

Does anyone know where the "feather edges" feature went? It's not under crop any longer. I'm doing a photo montage and I'd like to feather in FCPX and not have to go through each photo in PS.

Thanks!
Re: Feather Edges??
September 23, 2011 08:43PM
Well you no longer can add drop shadows to photos or objects in FCP X. I'm think you can't add a feather edges either. I goggled around and it looks like you have to to a Mask Effect. I have not ventured into that yet. If you find a way, please post back.
September 23, 2011 08:49PM
Under Effects > All > there is a filter called 'Crop and Feather'. You add this, then use the inspector to make adjustments. Not sure how it works on photos, as I've only played with it on video, but I imagine it should be able to handle non-standard frames sizes too.

September 24, 2011 05:51PM
The "Crop and Feather" filter does work on still images. It does an okay job. Nothing to write home about...
September 24, 2011 05:53PM
Thank you Jude! That was exactly what I was looking for! Not quite the same effect as FCP7, but it will do.

I am still trying to figure out which way I am headed here. Bought Adobe Premiere 5.5 as I had previously used PremierePro before converting to Macs and FCP, and i had always enjoyed it. Only problem now is that my Matrox MXO2 isn't playing nice with Premiere. They;re still working out some bugs. Anyway, figured I would give FCPX a try on this little montage project and see what I can learn. I really don't want to go back to Avid..
September 24, 2011 05:57PM
You have to use the Matrox sequences if you what external monitoring through the Matrox MX02.
September 24, 2011 10:21PM
To tell you the truth Nddirector, I hate the way FCPX works. But I've had a good play with it and seen how it does stuff, and I don't mind at all if someone else loves it and needs help with it. It's just not for me right now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics