FCP X constand jerky beach ball of death. Hard to edit

Posted by daddycools 
FCP X constand jerky beach ball of death. Hard to edit
October 13, 2011 04:02PM
Hello I have an 8 core mac pro with 6 gig of ram.

I find editing in X to be very slow, jerky and annoying. Everything is rendered no brown line and 100% on the render button in Green

It is jerky and my whole computer is acting the same. This is doing simple things. Is there any adjustment I can make to stop this?

Its becoming very hard to like this program.

Thank you,
Steve Marshall
Re: FCP X constand jerky beach ball of death. Hard to edit
October 13, 2011 04:58PM
How many projects do you have in your Projects Folder? I've heard reports that if you have many projects in the Projects Folder, it will slow things down. Sounds crazy, I know!
October 26, 2011 12:00PM
I wonder if using a program like Event Manager X [assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com] would help in this case? Prevents all projects and events from showing up in FCP X at once--maybe that would help?
November 08, 2011 09:32PM
Event Manager didn't seem to make a difference for me. I off lined several projects and events, but the memory usage started out a 800 megs. then shot up to 3.7 GIGS. Only working one project. I was adding some effects and maybe that could be part of the problem.

Best suggestion is to quit and reopen FCP X periodically. I have 4 more gigs of ram and exact system I get the beach ball a lot too. More tweaks are need. At least the interface doesn't look up anymore after .01 update and far fewer crashes.
Re: FCP X beachball and slow operation mostly fixed
November 08, 2011 09:41PM
To all of you having the same annoying issues about FCPX being jerky and lots of beachballs of death. I finally found a solution.

MORE RAM.

I had a a 8 core 2.26 Mac Pro tower with 6 gigs of RAM. I could hardly even do anything with FCPX and I decided to try 4 more gig which was 2 - 2Gig Ram additions. That really woke up the whole computer. It was so noticeable I went and got 2 more 4GIGs ram to give me 16 gig. Wow its like i purchased a whole new up to date machine.

FCPX opens and operates a whole lot better. 500% more. I can have more programs open and FCPX still works fine.

Hmmmm I can still add 16 more Gig.

Regards,
Steve
Re: FCP X beachball and slow operation mostly fixed I TAKE THAT BACK
January 19, 2012 01:52PM
Hello
I take that back. adding ram certainly did help and woke up the computer but again I'm having long waits with the beachball again. I do the preference thing, the permissions thing and reboot. Normally that helps but it is bogging down again. Common Apple please do some fixes on this thing. Some things are really good. Others are bad but with what we have at least let me work on my show without a beachball.

Steve
January 20, 2012 09:41AM
For me it seems a project with a lot of clips (or better Motion templates) seems to slow down the process, especially when you want to switch to and from compound clips. The more clips the slower it works.

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
January 20, 2012 01:01PM
Andreas
Yes I do have lots on the timeline. 4 - 22 minute shows with lots of edits each and they are compound clips. Had less issues in FC7 though. I guess the annoying thing is it always says "not responding" when it is actually doing something. 1 cut of a clip could take 10 minutes or longer to update.

Thanks
Steve
January 20, 2012 01:05PM
See how much time you save with FCPX?

www.derekmok.com
January 20, 2012 10:13PM
> 1 cut of a clip could take 10 minutes or longer to update.

Geez. I knew the design of FCP X made it inefficient on long projects, but this is S-L-O-W.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics