Afghanistan and FCP X

Posted by Andrew Kines 
Afghanistan and FCP X
November 05, 2011 11:17AM
A simple video. All DSLR. All FCP X.
It's not an argument for FCP X being ready for broadcast or other applications but it is an example of the operator being more important to the creative process than the tools used.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: Afghanistan and FCP X
November 05, 2011 11:38AM
I agree. The creative process was top notch. And it looks like FCP X worked very well for them.
November 05, 2011 11:57AM
Give me excellent photography, a simple classic-film style and a good script, sure, I can cut the damn thing in Media 100 circa 2000 (with its generous eight audio tracks) or the mighty Adobe Premiere 4 from early my film-school days. Doesn't make the tool a good one.

At this point in Apple's timeline, "it's not that bad" is simply not passing the mustard for me. We never made the apology that "iMovie could do this simple thing because it's simple enough". You can eat a meal with a single chopstick if the food is just mashed potatoes. If it's a bowl of peas and a steak, I'm still going to use a complete set of cutlery. That same set of cutlery could've handled the mashed potatoes just as well. If I'm going to carry a set of eating tools, I'm not going for a single chopstick.

www.derekmok.com
November 05, 2011 12:06PM
Well shot.

No point making it an FCP X vs FCP Classic vs The Others.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 05, 2011 12:09PM
Yikes! Don't even try and argue with Derek after that paragraph. smiling smiley I dont know why but I'd sure love to visit this place. Just not with all the bad folks hanging there.

Michael Horton
-------------------
November 05, 2011 12:12PM
What if the mashed potatoes are runny. Then you'll need a spoon grinning smiley
November 05, 2011 01:28PM
Well, to get off the soapbox for a minute, if you have this footage and can't make it work, then it is, indeed, not the fault of the tool.

Oh, the days when producers did the research, tested the cameras, got the DP and post people involved before the shoot, paid the lab to do proper transfers, when producers watched shots instead of cuts and transitions...

www.derekmok.com
November 05, 2011 05:47PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont know why but I'd sure
> love to visit this place. Just not with all the
> bad folks hanging there.

Not all of the country is violent. Some parts have remained peaceful:
[www.bbc.co.uk]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
November 06, 2011 08:45AM
Yes there are some peaceful parts left. But some of them look horrible still after all the war times.

Regarding the movie I'm with Derek. For this kind of movie you just need good footage a good script and then you can edit with more or less any tool, if you are a good editor.

I like the movie as it shows all the 'nice' parts of Afghanistan and it's people - I've seen other parts (only my cams had been there)

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics