Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .

Posted by craig seeman 
Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .
November 16, 2011 09:24PM
Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman spoke at MoPictive (Moving Pictures Collective formerly FCPUGNY) in addition to his usuall FCPX demo he said that he'd been beta testing the next major release of FCPX coming next year. Obviously with the NDA guns pointed at his head all he could say is that he's very happy with the way Multicam is being implemented, broadcast monitor is good, there's other good stuff coming and he'll be moving his facility to . . .

FCPX on that release.

He feels it'll be ready to take on their professional work.
Re: Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .
November 16, 2011 10:51PM
It's good that Version 2.0 or whatever you guys will call it next year will finally be something that more editors can use. Will be interesting to see where that product ends up in another 2 years.

Between what Avid just released and what Adobe has been talking about moving forward, I'm pretty happy to hitch our wagon to both of those horses for now. I will say it's absolutely remarkable in our shop to have Avid MC6, Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5.2 and Final Cut Pro 7 not only running on the same machine in perfect harmony, but to even be able to run them all AT THE SAME TIME. I literally run all three at the same time while testing moving projects back and forth across the three apps. AJA stability with the Kona board running them all is just remarkable.

If the time comes that my clientele and workflow require X to do our day to day editing, it's easy enough to move over there, but for now, the workflow is so efficient and simple going Adobe / Avid it's a no brainer.

It's going to be an awesome 2012 that's for sure.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
Anybody know if there is a video of Evan Schechtman speaking at the MoPictive? Interesting; Evan grew up in the same town as I did...
Re: Outpost Digital's founder Evan Schectman says, that's it, he's moving his facility to . . .
November 17, 2011 12:03PM
Send me a PM Russ and I will give you Ned Soltz email. He runs MoPictive

Michael Horton
-------------------
Michael, I sent the PM... thanks!
November 17, 2011 05:37PM
They were definitely shooting so it should get posted at some point. He made some interesting comments outside of his "normal" presentation. He seemed to be dropping hints about server related stuff through Lion and FCPX (obviously my interpretation).
I sent Ned Soltz an email (thanks Michael) asking if the Evan's presentation will be posted anytime soon. He said he is waiting for it so he can link it to the MoPictive site. But here I found another presentation that Evan did in August:

He moves pretty fast and the video is very clear. He starts out with some history, then gets into it. I found it enlightening.
November 20, 2011 09:03PM
I posted that here at that time.
Most of the general stuff is the same with addition of some of the new features such as roles.

I think the more interesting stuff is the side comments he makes given that he's a beta tester for the next big release.
He's gone from, "I haven't used it for any paying work," to "I'm going to move my facility to it on the next release."
Oh, I missed your post on that presentation. I must of been out of town.

I can see someone that is beta testing the next release saying, "I'm going to move my facility to it on the next release." He likes what he is seeing so far. Once multicam and external monitor are added, I'm there also.
The video is very helpful, thanks.

The negative reaction to X has to be broken into two groups:

Group One: Those who don't like the changes within the editing environment of FCP.

I'm basically with Evan on this, all of the old functionality is there, and there's some very cool innovations and improvements.
I don't see this as any less a pro user experience, and it's much more complex and robust than iMovie.
His opening timeline of change presentation speaks appropriately to this group.

Although, the point was recently made to me that Apples sudden radical changes within the editing environment, cause some concern for
business that rely on freelance editors because there's no way of knowing how long it would take, or if it will ever happen, for experienced FCP X
editors to become plentiful and readily available to jump into an existing FCP X project, without the steep learning curve slow down.

Group Two: Those who need to use FCP within an Offline to Online pipeline.

I'm in this group. Right now, no pro monitoring, and no way to move a cut done in FCP to heavy iron systems like Smoke, Flame, Nucoda,
that use EXR and DPX made from r3d, are major problems. One top of that, throw in no output to pro tape decks.
I disagree with Evan on EDL, I still use it quite a bit for simple cut list solutions, especially with Nucoda due to no XML support there.

Current status:

Agree with Evan that the Beta Kona driver is very encouraging, which would solve monitoring and deck output. (if there is deck control)
No way to move a project from offline to online is still the deal breaker.

Paul Buhl
774-521-9000
Feature Film Editor
www.paulbuhl.com
Editorial Staff
www.hydraulx.com
January 06, 2012 06:47AM
Group One:

There are features I like, such as background optimization of media, background rendering, the database style of media management (and I use FCP 7's search tool quite often), the edit previewer thingy, etc... Then there are things I dont like about it- the design doesn't work with a wacom tablet, little customization of windows, no 2 up source/record display, bad project media management, etc... And there are basic flawed design choices- eg. The need for constant refreshing of thumbnails means that the software may get very laggy on huge projects or with very intensive media. The filmstrip preview (I like working with thumbnails, not film strip). And on the whole, it doesn't feel very precise when you are trying to find your ins and outs (which of course, it doesn't remember unless you remember to make it a favourite).

Group 2:

Features... I'm working on a multicam reality with dual system sound and no synchronized timecode (don't ask). And this stuff is synced and multicamed from the timeline, because there are tracks. I'd like to run pluraleyes, but audio analysis for sync doesn't work very well especially in the outdoor scenes. The fundamental design of FCP X makes it a bad choice to deal with a project like the one I'm working on due to the lack of tracks.

The AJA beta drivers to my knowledge is similar to the extended desktop preview on the BMD cards. Not a critical simulation of the output. Also, I won't expect native control of tape decks from within FCP.

www.strypesinpost.com
I totally agree with you Gerard.

And in my case I've to add the really crappy XML stuff. We made some tests with a simple subtitle transfer from one machine to another via XML. Beside the thing that are no settings transported for the titles (this applies to any kind of clip) the XML import is very slow compared to legacy FCP. While with the old version the import took 10 seconds in average with FCPX it had been 10 minutes in average - enough time for me to go to the bakery two houses right, get a fresh sandwich and a coffee to go and have a nice break. Fastest test machine was about 4 minutes, slowest about 40.

Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics