FCPX playback flicker on MacPro===>Graphics card or Ram???

Posted by DouglasE 
FCPX playback flicker on MacPro===>Graphics card or Ram???
November 28, 2011 02:17PM
Greetings from the Tucson Final Cut Users Group.

I am testing FCPX trial version and seem to be having problems with playback flicker. Using the same .mov in FCP7 it plays OK. QT has no problem playing. In FCPX it plays choppy. When I export/share via FCPX the flicker remains. It even flickers when I preview in the FCPX Import from File or Camera. I have tested with other .mov files and all is OK for FCP7 and QT but in FCPX it flickers.

In my research I have seen references to beefing up the system for FCPX. But I don't want to spend an arm and leg if hardware upgades do not resolve the issue.

Is this typical for FCPX or do I need a faster graphics card or more ram or both?

Or...?

I am using:
OS 10.6.8
MacPro Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
Memory: 8 GB
Several internal Apple Tb harddrives and external Tb Gtechs
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120/ VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Re: FCPX playback flicker on MacPro===>Graphics card or Ram???
November 28, 2011 04:03PM
Hi Doug, I too am in Tucson and a member of the Tucson Final Cut Users Group, and live in desert city.

I use FCPX on my Mac Pro 1,1. But I do have 16GB of ram and the ATI 5770 graphic card with 1GB of VRAM. Could you tell us a bit information on what type of footage you are trying to push through FCPX, codec and all?
November 28, 2011 10:15PM
I am just trying to learn the FCPX program (10.0.1) for some upcoming projects that will be utilizing P2 for distribution online.

I am ingesting the simpliest of video(s) from an iPhone 4s. 1920x1080/ 30fps. The clips are 60 seconds at most. When I 'Import from Camera' and view in FCPX the playback is choppy and flickers. If I just go to the Final Cut Events directory and select any of the 'Original Media' it plays perfectly.

I have been in video since 2" Ampex, RCA TK76 and Ikegami HL79, uMatics, 1", Montage Picture Processor, etc. so this is not entirely new to me but FCPX is new for everyone. I can easily default back to FCP7 but I really think FCPX has great potential and is breaking new intuitive ground. Thus, I want to learn it but I do need pretty pictures. And even the iPhone 4s makes great pics.

I thought the cause could be a lot of things---rolling shutter, camera stabilization when on a tripod, etc. But the jittery images only appear in FCPX and the images are good on FCP7 and QT and even on an older PremierPro
November 29, 2011 08:18AM
When you import or capture your footage, are you transcoding it? When the "Import Files" dialog box comes up, check the box for, "Create optimized media". That might make your footage play a lot smoother. What it does is transcodes your footage to ProRes.
November 29, 2011 06:47PM
Hi Russ,
Thanks for the suggestions but I have tried ingesting with the 'Optimized Media' box checked and not checked, etc. All the variations. And playback is still the same.

I do have Preferences> Playback set to Higher Quality.

I was at the La Encantada Apple store today and spoke with a "genius" and they believe the problem is the graphics card and not RAM as 8 is ample for FCPX.

Now I just need to source a compatible graphics card.

I'll report in with my solution and results---if any. But my trial FCPX will probably expire before the faster graphics card arrives.
November 29, 2011 07:18PM
Sounds good! I'm hoping that we have a December Tucson FCP meeting next month. Maybe I'll run into you there.
November 30, 2011 02:37PM
Hey Doug

From the qualified GPU list for FCPX: [support.apple.com]

I don't see the GT120 so I suspect it is not supported.

If you upgrade to Lion and keep the GT120 in your Mac you can run a VERY fast PC GPU alongside as I have done.

I've installed an Nvidia GTX580 3GB which so far works perfectly under FCP7 and FCPX and the other ProApps but really flies using Adobe CS 5+.

Lion has drivers for the 5xx, 4xx and other Nvidia GPUs but you won't get the boot screen or boot loader unless your use a Mac Nvidia GPU alongside it.

If you want more information I will think about doing an article - it's not difficult - but you might find getting a Mac AMD GPU supported by Snow Leopard is an easier option.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 30, 2011 02:47PM
Ben, that's a list of cards that are not supported by FCPX. The main tech specs page at [www.apple.com] seems to imply that any OpenCL card should work as long as it has at least 256 MB of VRAM. But I don't know how true that is.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
December 01, 2011 04:45PM
Oops! Yes I linked that from another post without reading the NOT bit...

A bit dumb really - (both on my part and Apple's) they should write a positive list of confirmed cards rather than only a negative list so we can isolate problems that are definitely spec related.

...the GT120 is an awful and underpowered GPU anyway and at the lower end Nvidia are not the best choice for the Apple Pro Apps.

As to whether Doug's problems are related to the GPU I can't say for sure - certainly I found the GT120 was terrible with a dual monitor setup on FCP7.

Doug - are you using a 2 monitor setup?

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Radeon HD 5770 works so far
December 02, 2011 09:45PM
All right. I order the Radeon HD 5770 from B& H for $223 plus $12 for two (2) day delivery. I need it quick as my Final Cut Pro X trial expires in five (5) day. I see tracking says out for delivery. Soooo, In anticipation I take Mr. MacPro to the garage and fire up the compressor and blow out any accumulated dustbunnies. Not much. Together we go back to the office and he is placed on the Anthro desk. I remove the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. Mr. MacPro is in the midst of un-whole. Mr. Dell workstation is wondering as is Ms. MacBookPro. iPhones are hovering in the backgrounds and all are wondering what is going on.

I make a fire in the fireplace because Tucson is cold tonight. The timer for the Xmas lights is finally working and they go on at 5:30pm. We have some Bogle chardonnay. Our UPS delivery is always about 6pm. The wife is getting ready to prepare some really nice veal saltimbocca. The doorbell rings and here is a huge, really huge, box from B&H. I assume too much packaging but inside packed in the air pillows is another tan cardboard box. Inside that box I spy a gray box with an Apple logo upon. I break the seal and violate the Apple box. Inside is the graphics card encased in perfectly fit foam. Perfectly cut as if for precious jewels.

Thank you Steve Jobs.

There is a 120 page instruction booklet but only eight (8) pages apply to me. In the office I install the 5770 card and cable in thirty (30) seconds. I plug in the cables and fire up Mr. MacPro. All is OK. I check About this Mac>Graphics Display and see the Radeon HD 5770 mounted. I go to FCPX and play back some of the flickering videos and all seems OK

My wife calls to me to stop playing with the computer and open the Barbera D'Asti.

Enough of computers. The fire is nice, the Brabera is double nice, the Saltimbocca is fabulous. Hummm, maybe she needs some attention----------meaning the wife.

I'll let you know my progress and if this Radeon HD 5770 is the answer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics