FCP X dead for Professionals?

Posted by emissaryfilms 
Re: FCP X dead for Professionals?
January 05, 2012 02:21PM
Joe - hope you're testing something that will be a real FCP 7 replacement.

I've moved had to move to AVID due to AutoDuck not working all the time and the clients wanting an AVID timeline delivered.

...and while you can get your muscle memory with the program fairly quickly - it still feels clunky when creating effects - step in - step out...nesting effects ...etc....

...what we miss most is the huge community of plugins we've had with final cut pro that made virtually everything very easy to create.

Any idea when the next Premiere Pro is set for release?
January 05, 2012 02:23PM
Andy Field Wrote:

>
> Any idea when the next Premiere Pro is set for
> release?

At our November Atlanta Cutters meeting, the Adobe team said to follow history, so expect April NAB for the introduction of CS6. Adobe has booked our entire May Atlanta Cutters meeting so I think that confirms we'll see it in April.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
January 05, 2012 02:49PM
Michael,

the push-back on pro users, about not wanting to adapt to changes, is not addressing the real concerns.

Apple has REMOVED the following:

XML, EDL, OMF, compatibility with AJA cards, professional monitoring and tape decks, dual monitor for application use.

Without XML, EDL, OMF, AJA for monitors and decks, I can't use FCP in a feature film environment, period.
Add in NO discussion of development for Stereo Editing and further RED support, and the picture gets even worse.

It's NOT about adapting to doing the same things in a different way, it's about not being able to do them, at all.
We just need to know if FCP will restore these functions, and if not, we will have to go back to Avid.

Thanks for further thoughts on this.

Paul Buhl
774-521-9000
Feature Film Editor
www.paulbuhl.com
Editorial Staff
www.hydraulx.com
January 05, 2012 03:09PM
Without XML, EDL, OMF, AJA for monitors and decks, I can't use FCP in a feature film environment, period.
Add in NO discussion of development for Stereo Editing and further RED support, and the picture gets even worse.

These will come. Just a matter of time and what 3rd party tackles it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 05, 2012 03:25PM
Mike Horton said:
These will come. Just a matter of time and what 3rd party tackles it.

This is just dumb IMHO. They should be there already. It's like buying a new car without windows and going to an auto parts store for them to complete your car. I don't like what Apple did / is doing with FCP. It has nothing to do with being set in my ways. It's just dumb.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 05, 2012 03:29PM
> I don't like what Apple did / is doing with FCP. It has nothing to do with being set in my ways.

It does have to do with us being set in our ways. The industry wants to do things a certain way, which doesn't include sloppy file "management", lack of tracks and lack of XML/OMF support. Apple wants us to change to an inferior work approach just because they think it's the wave of the future that will net them another "pioneer" tag. It's an arrogant dream.

www.derekmok.com
January 05, 2012 04:03PM
All due respect Michael, this sounds apologetic. Apple has to be the one to embrace these issues, I don't want to rely on third parties for creative work-arounds
regarding basic functionality. Apple alone has the responsibility of defining the timing of "these will come eventually", or telling us straight up that it will have to be up to third parties.

The Bunim/Murray announcement will be followed by others as this lac of communication and confidence lingers.
I believe Apple has thought this through and are willing to gamble that the expanding consumer market will pay off in the end, but meanwhile
they are hoping to retain as much of the lower end pro and prosumer video production users as possible.

Paul Buhl
774-521-9000
Feature Film Editor
www.paulbuhl.com
Editorial Staff
www.hydraulx.com
January 05, 2012 04:14PM
plbhl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe Apple has thought this through and are
> willing to gamble that the expanding consumer
> market will pay off in the end, but meanwhile
> they are hoping to retain as much of the lower end
> pro and prosumer video production users as
> possible.

Absolutely what I have been saying since April of last year. Apple released precisely the software they fully intended to release. There was no intention for XML, OMF or any other standardized workflow because Apple fully intended FCP X to be exactly what it is, a simple Edit Tool In A Box. If Apple had intended for FCP X to have the standard industry tools and workflow, that would have been in Version 10.0. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, but not what the rest of the industry that has to work together was looking for.

If you truly look at what is happening, Apple is not really doing much of anything, they will rely pretty much 100% on third parties to make the software sort of kind of work with the rest of the industry.

From where we are in Atlanta, the market very quickly moved away from FCP as the future to Adobe / Avid as the future. It's quite simple really, those two platforms support the very same hardware that all of us have been using for years so it made for a very simple switch. That's the problem Apple will have if they ever mean to go back to the professional post houses and broadcasters in the future. But I don't think they ever did intend for that and they'll just be another tool in the toolbox instead of the industry leader they once were.

Never say never, but that's where I see their software going.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
January 05, 2012 04:32PM
All due respect Michael, this sounds apologetic. Apple has to be the one to embrace these issues, I don't want to rely on third parties for creative work-arounds
regarding basic functionality. Apple alone has the responsibility of defining the timing of "these will come eventually", or telling us straight up that it will have to be up to third parties.

Never read between the lines on a public forum. I'm just stating what will happen based on my knowledge. Thats it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
Re: FCP X dead for Professionals?,, FCP X cuts my editing time by 25%
January 05, 2012 04:34PM
"I think the haters out there are not taking the time to learn and use this software....it's not for everyone.....but in reality it is."

Aron,

if you are acknowledging up front that you do not work in what's considered a pro environment, how can you make the above quoted
statement?

I think it's more accurate to say that users in your world are upset that the pro users are being critical, so they are making assumptions
about our motivations without really understanding our issues.

I'm fine with the fact that it works for you, but I'm in an environment of having to move a 2 hour stereo feature, shot with RED Epic r3d,
with 600+ VFX shots, from FCP, through Maya, Flame, Smoke, Nucoda and ProTools.

There seems to be a massive disconnect between what some users think the issues are, and what they really are. As I said in an earlier post,
I don't think Apple even has the inclination to make the arguments that are coming from the prosumer users, I think they've made an intention
shift and the pros need to do likewise.

Meanwhile the time it would take to convince us otherwise is running out, projects have deadlines, life goes on.

Paul Buhl
774-521-9000
Feature Film Editor
www.paulbuhl.com
Editorial Staff
www.hydraulx.com
January 05, 2012 05:18PM
It's like buying a new car without windows

Better not go through the car wash winking smiley
January 05, 2012 08:53PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
>
>
> Never read between the lines on a public forum.
> I'm just stating what will happen based on my
> knowledge. Thats it.

Understood. Didn't mean to sound like I was accusing you personally of being an Apple apologist. Just stating what this kind of response sounds like
to the users in my shoes, in this kind of dialog.

Paul Buhl
774-521-9000
Feature Film Editor
www.paulbuhl.com
Editorial Staff
www.hydraulx.com
January 06, 2012 02:42PM
Outstanding - and if it it's more FCP 7 like with support for all the plugins - and the Autoduck folks have a great translator to AVID and back - this could quickly become the LAPPUG.ORG

Best Andy
January 06, 2012 02:56PM
No, if there is a name change it will be more generic to reflect what lafcpug is all about. "We don't care what tool you use."

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 06, 2012 05:29PM
I agree Michael.

For most of us, this forum, this was our first stop on the web each day for the last decade - a great community helping each other muddle through and then become expert at a terrific tool. You've done an astonishing job connecting everyone and providing tremendous value to our work.

The angst most of us feel is having to discard much of what makes us quick and proficient at what we do and re-learn a new way of working - all while trying to do it at the same level and speed we did two minutes ago.

A lot of us have spent our precious spare time mastering AVID and Premiere because Apple's new direction made it necessary.

No matter what the forum's called in the future, the same group of talented and generous pros will be there continuing to help each other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics