10.0.3 and it's BIG

Posted by craig seeman 
10.0.3 and it's BIG
January 31, 2012 10:21AM
Multicam up to 64 angles from multiple codecs (mixed formats) too.
Broadcast Monitoring (still beta) through AJA, Blackmagic (Matrox to come) with PCIe and Thunderbolt.
Layered Photoshop files now supported.
FCP7 Projects in FCPX via Phillip Hodgetts' utility ($10).
Re-Linking!
Major improvement in ChromaKey

And I like the implications that this is only a 0.3 and not 10.1. I think they have a lot more in store. There's a lot more that still needs to be done but I think we're going to see a lot coming back through the year.
Re: 10.0.3 and it's BIG
January 31, 2012 10:21AM
Link here:

[www.apple.com]

Apple finally releases FCP X.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 31, 2012 11:05AM
This really points to Apple's marketing silence hurting them.

Granted nobody wants to wait would could be a year or more (there's still more they need to do) but had they given the assurance that this was going to happen when they presented at the SuperMeet the uproar may have been reduced to a load grumble.

Certainly some editors and facilities would still have moved (be moving) because FCP7 was already that far behind current technology but I suspect the sentiment of "broken trust" or "abandonment" may not have been as severe.

Their silence is still a problem when it comes to the MacPro. They may not want to say whether it will be upgraded vs replaced but simply saying, "We'll have Xeons, a good GPU, Thunderbolt support" coming," would be helpful. They don't have to reveal secrets to a new design, just say "we've got something coming for you."
January 31, 2012 12:19PM
Got to agree with you Craig on all points. Silence is not golden here, but is Apple policy it seems. and most likly will not change. Also, they easily could of called this 10.1, but then none of us have used it yet.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 31, 2012 12:38PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got to agree with you Craig on all points. Silence
> is not golden here, but is Apple policy it seems.
> and most likly will not change. Also, they easily
> could of called this 10.1, but then none of us
> have used it yet.

But they did finally yield a bit to announce Multicam and Broadcast Monitoring. Does announcing things like that hurt sales? Does announcing catchup features give an edge to competitors? Silence on new secrete weapons I understand but I think they should be forthcoming with stuff that existed in FCS but not yet in FCPX.

Consider the outrage over the inability to import anything from FCP7. They did nothing to quell the noise leading people to think "impossible" and "never." They could have said XML is under development and, once ready, we think it'll be an excellent third party opportunity.

Philip Hodgetts has a $10 solution right out the door on day one of 10.0.3 with XML1.1.

None of this is revealing secrets to competitors. This is all catchup stuff (and very good tasty catchup I'd add).

It's not that they won't talk. They did with Multicam and Broadcast Monitoring. One would argue their biggest reveal was that they were willing to reveal FCPX months before it was released. They Spoke. The problem was that it was an "incomplete sentence."
January 31, 2012 12:46PM
IMO their biggest mistake was killing FCP 7 on day one. None of the features of FCPX would have mattered if Apple had said FCP 7 was still supported and FCPX was a work in progress that would eventually replace it long-term.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
January 31, 2012 12:50PM
But they did finally yield a bit to announce Multicam and Broadcast Monitoring.

Yeah, but that was highly unusual and not likely to happen again. Unless there is a LOT of squawking. Doesn't hurt to squawk.

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 31, 2012 01:02PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
> IMO their biggest mistake was killing FCP 7 on day
> one. None of the features of FCPX would have
> mattered if Apple had said FCP 7 was still
> supported and FCPX was a work in progress that
> would eventually replace it long-term.

I absolutely agree. If they allowed a transition instead killing FCS sales, as of today people would be able to start moving projects from FCP7 to FCPX. With Resolve Lite being the free replacement for Color, Multicam now, Broadcast monitoring. It would have been a smooth and patient transition. FCP7 would continue to fill in the needs in spots where FCPX isn't ready yet. Sure there'd be grumbles and growing pains along the way but certainly not the implosion that happened.

Other dumb things was the use of the term "trackless." How about "virtual tracks" while they make improvements to Secondary Storylines.
January 31, 2012 01:02PM
craig seeman Wrote:
> Michael Horton Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> Consider the outrage over the inability to import
> anything from FCP7. They did nothing to quell the
> noise leading people to think "impossible" and
> "never." They could have said XML is under
> development and, once ready, we think it'll be an
> excellent third party opportunity.
>
> Philip Hodgetts has a $10 solution right out the
> door on day one of 10.0.3 with XML1.1.
>

Oh it wasn't us making "noise leading people to think "impossible" and "never. Apple said it. From their FAQ's:

Can I import projects from Final Cut Pro 7 into Final Cut Pro X?

Final Cut Pro X includes an all-new project architecture structured around a trackless timeline and connected clips. Because of these changes, there is no way to ?translate? or bring in old projects without changing or losing data. But if you?re already working with Final Cut Pro 7, you can continue to do so?.?

So if there was noise created, Apple provided the discussion point of reference. If Apple said it was never going to happen, and they created the application, then you have to go with what they said. As you point out, they never came back and said "well it MIGHT be possible, but we're not going to do it" which makes you wonder why in the heck they didn't. But that's a moot point, as Shane Ross said, two guys in an apartment could figure out what Apple couldn't. Kind of funny actually and reminds me of these two guys working in their father's garage years ago on some new computer idea.......

The silence and lack of communication from Apple is the number one reason I'm hearing from so many people that no matter what Apple does, they will not consider going back to them. Avid and Adobe have vested interests in serving the Professional community. Apple does not, particularly in light of the tremendous quarters they are having with all of their "i" products. They don't need the pro market either from computer sales or software sales. So if they don't need us, what's to keep pushing them to make the product better from here? I honestly don't know. Will be interesting to see if anyone besides Evan Schechtman turns their entire facility over to X in the next 12 months.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
January 31, 2012 01:07PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
> >
>
>
> Yeah, but that was highly unusual and not likely
> to happen again. Unless there is a LOT of
> squawking. Doesn't hurt to squawk.

They could have started listening to the squawking after the SuperMeet or when "trusted" people like Larry Jordan talked to them.

Certainly the loudest squawk has to be that of facilities moving to HP workstations . . . and the "Halo" effect that will have as the post personnel make their home and mobile computer choices as well.
January 31, 2012 01:11PM
Not to mention that a lot of us make hardware recommendations to less tech-savvy relatives.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
January 31, 2012 01:15PM
>Other dumb things was the use of the term "trackless." How about "virtual tracks" while they make improvements to
>Secondary Storylines.

I totally agree on this. This was one of the least attractive "features" in FCP X.

There are still other design flaws that needs to be addressed- making it work with a tablet, customizable windows, the ability to open multiple bins (or "keyword collections" ), and the general sorting of media within what we industry folks call a "project".

I hope they stop relying so much on 3rd party developers for crucial parts of the post pipeline in software. Eg. interface with tape decks, omf/aaf exports, etc.. It is cool that you have great 3rd party developers, but not cool when a crucial part of your workflow on a 3-4 year old project is scuppered because the 3rd party developer is no longer supporting the workflow tool.

>They don't have to reveal secrets to a new design, just say "we've got something coming for you."

Now, from memory, they revealed FCP X at the Supermeet, and there was that unofficial quote that said that the pros are going to love it. We didn't.

But this is the first step towards making the software "pro". I'm hoping for more before I consider re-buying it.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 31, 2012 01:19PM
Walter I've already heard of other, albeit smaller, facilities moving to FCPX.

Apple's silence on catchup features is just plan dumb business IMHO. Sometimes inscrutable has value but not on catchup features.

I believe the reason why FCP7 to X is now possible is XML1.1. Again all Apple had to say is, "as our XML progresses, it should be possible and would be a good third party opportunity." Sure that would have resulted in groans but that's still a lot different than what appeared to be "not now, not ever."

Regarding MacPro, for example, if they'd just say "we'll have Xeons, good GPU, Thunderbolt but that's all we can say right now," would at least let us know they'll have some sort of "Pro" box even if it's completely redesigned with more "outie" than "innie" expandability. Saying nothing leads to the worst possible assumption in enough of the market to be damaging.

Walter, it's not just the "Pro" market, it's the reverse "Halo" effect as all the personnel at facilities think about their home and mobile computers as they move to HP Workstations at work. The further away content creation moves from the Apple ecosystem, the easier it gets to move everything else away from the Apple ecosystem.
January 31, 2012 01:30PM
BTW Saphire Edge 1.1 is out for FCPX 10.0.3 today.
Red Giant Magic Bullet Looks is out for FCPX 10.0.3 today.

Looks like Apple is working on the issues that held up some of the plugin development.
January 31, 2012 02:02PM
Heath McKnight talks to Richard Townhill about the update

[heathmcknight.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 31, 2012 02:21PM
craig seeman Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
> Walter, it's not just the "Pro" market, it's the
> reverse "Halo" effect as all the personnel at
> facilities think about their home and mobile
> computers as they move to HP Workstations at work.
> The further away content creation moves from the
> Apple ecosystem, the easier it gets to move
> everything else away from the Apple ecosystem.

Yep, we should have our first HP workstation in here in the next few weeks for testing finally. Cross Platform opportunities with Avid / Adobe are big reasons for me to consider those apps. Not limited to whatever Apple decides they want to do since we, the consumer, cannot ask for anything. They will tell us when they're ready.

If Apple goes down a path I like for machines, I can go their direction. If not, I have options that the software will allow.....

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
January 31, 2012 03:29PM
Very good FCP 7 to X white paper just published

[images.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
January 31, 2012 04:00PM
>Unlike in Final Cut Pro 7, you no longer need to sync clips manually by placing them in a sequence before making a multiclip.

I don't understand this bit. In FCP 7, you'll select the clips in the browser, right click, and choose "make multiclip". If the timecodes match up, this was the most efficient way to make a multiclip. However, if the timecodes do not sync (eg. jam synced timecode with sync drifts, and pluraleyes gives you no love), one workflow was to line everything up in the timeline and sync all the clips together, mark in points, then, you'll drag them back into the browser, and choose make multiclip with those clips.

And this was one area where I felt FCP 7 could have been better- you couldn't make a multiclip straight from the timeline. You had to do it from the browser, so there were a few more keystrokes. And also partly because of this, when you have short breaks in recording that resulted in multiple clips from the same camera angle, you couldn't combine those clips in a sequence or a nest as one continuous angle in a multiclip.

>To view all the angles of a multicam clip, you no longer double-click to open the multicam clip in the Viewer.

This was rarely the case. You'll set sync to "open" (ctrl o on the multicam keys) and edit away. Double clicking on the clip is cumbersome, especially if the audio is no longer linked the video, you'll end up watching silent multiclips.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 31, 2012 04:22PM
Gee...I guess us "whining Pros" got through to someone @ Apple, huh? This is a good start, but Apple is going in a weird direction and now have shaken confidence with me and my facility (and many more in my teeny market from the discussions popping up around town). I am hearing rumors of MacPro being discontinued so who knows what Apple is doing. Porting for PC?? Naaahhhhh.

Not yet near sniffing FCPX here. Loading up on Premiere plug-ins and just updated MC6. Looking forward to NAB and Adobe Production Premium CS 6 (big additions coming - I am told "The Pros will not be disappointed"winking smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

January 31, 2012 04:31PM
strypes Wrote:
> I don't understand this bit. In FCP 7, you'll
> select the clips in the browser, right click, and
> choose "make multiclip". If the timecodes match
> up, this was the most efficient way to make a
> multiclip. However, if the timecodes do not sync
> (eg. jam synced timecode with sync drifts, and
> pluraleyes gives you no love), one workflow was to
> line everything up in the timeline and sync all
> the clips together, mark in points, then, you'll
> drag them back into the browser, and choose make
> multiclip with those clips.

If there is an obvious common sync point such as a slate then I just set the in points in the browser and don't bother adding them to the timeline.

My software:
More tools...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics