10.0.3 and it's BIG

Posted by craig seeman 
Re: 10.0.3 and it's BIG
January 31, 2012 04:34PM
Not everyone bought Plural Eyes. Now FCPX has that built in (although some feel it's hit an miss). FCPX gives you a choice of sync methods. It even uses the Time Date stamp as an option (masochism not included).

Now the Multiclip is the Viewer (sort of) and the Sync is automatic. You drop the multiclip in the Timeline and you see the Source and Record side and they play in sync (I like using old English to describe these things).
January 31, 2012 04:48PM
>If there is an obvious common sync point such as a slate then I just set the in points in the
>browser and don't bother adding them to the timeline.

Depends on the number of clips you're working with. Over here we just wrapped prep for a multicam reality show, and everyday there can be about 100 clips per camera angle and they may or may not be rolling together. Sone clips may or may not require multicam. So it would be tedious trying to match the slate girl. Or to figure which clips needed to be synced. It is easier to string each camera out by timecode and match sync in the timeline. That way you can see the time relationship between each clip, and you can see if you need to sync by action or by audio waveform.

Apple's choices assume that one of two sync option is accurately available- 1) timecode or 2) healthy audio waveforms identical across all tracks.

Assuming timecode was not available, and the subjects are split mic-ed (mixture of lapel mics or directional booms), then you will run into serious problems trying to achieve sync the Apple way.

What I would really like to see is a syncing solution that uses a hybrid method in order of user defined priority- 1) match waveforms on specific audio track number and 2) base sync on nearest timecode (within 2-4 seconds). This way, you can have all cameras set to ToD, and you can run a wireless feed off one of the booms and pump that to track 1 on all cameras. So each camera now has some sync reference to help the software identify the correct clip, and then it will use a specific track to zone in on sync. This way, you will reduce the catastrophic failure where the software syncs up the wrong clip and discards the correct clip.

When the assistant is trying to sync clips they usually rely on more than 1 method of syncing and verifying the sync anyway.

www.strypesinpost.com
January 31, 2012 05:37PM
craig seeman Wrote:
> FCP7 Projects in FCPX via Phillip Hodgetts'
> utility ($10).

It's cool that Phil and Greg put together a sweet utility, and it's totally reasonable that they're charging $10 for it, but...

...shouldn't that have been included in FCX?

Oh, nevermind.
January 31, 2012 06:01PM
stuckfootage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> craig seeman Wrote:
> > FCP7 Projects in FCPX via Phillip Hodgetts'
> > utility ($10).
>
> It's cool that Phil and Greg put together a sweet
> utility, and it's totally reasonable that they're
> charging $10 for it, but...
>
>
>
> ...shouldn't that have been included in FCX?
>
>
>
> Oh, nevermind.

I have no problem with Apple working with third party developers. The key is working with them rather than keeping things from them. Given that Red Giant and Sapphire got Looks and Edge out the door on the same day, I have a hunch Apple is working more closely with (some) third party developers.
February 01, 2012 08:15AM
Sorry if this is too OT...

Walter Biscardi
we should have our first HP workstation in here in the next few weeks for testing finally. Cross Platform opportunities with Avid / Adobe are big reasons for me to consider those apps.

HP workstations are the easiest (just like buying a Mac) - but building your own may be faster and cheaper.

Folks have been kind enough to run rendering comparisons of MC5 v MC6 (which is about 30-45% faster) and there are workstation comparisons as a result (over clocked i7s winning out over stock z800s). Lack of Mac comparisons so feel free to download the Avid trials and compare - learn a little in the process.

The two links are forum messages about BCC plug-ins render test and AvidFX render test (which is Boris Red available as a plug in within Avid).

Use either, both or neither. If you need more help through the process of downloading the trial versions etc then ask at the Avid forums.

(I'm hoping FCPx does bring Apple back to the plate though... but not at the expense of killing Avid hopefully).

MC6 and MC5 trials (choose from drop down) BCC8 trial (needed for MC6 - I think BCC7 comes with MC5 trial)
February 01, 2012 09:30AM
trevora Wrote:
> Sorry if this is too OT...
>
>
> we should have our first HP workstation in here in
> the next few weeks for testing finally. Cross
> Platform opportunities with Avid / Adobe are big
> reasons for me to consider those apps.
>
>
> HP workstations are the easiest (just like buying
> a Mac) - but building your own may be faster and
> cheaper.

Yep, and when we have problems with it, we have to repair / troubleshoot / fix it ourselves. Nope, I have better things to do with my time. So we have our VAR set up our systems and when something is wrong, they have to come in and fix the problem and if the machine has to go out for repair, they have to supply a loaner.

The cost savings short term building something yourself are offset long term when things need to be fixed, tweaked, massaged, updated, etc.... Especially when you're talking 7 to 10 workstations (and growing) that need to be overseen and maintained.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
February 01, 2012 10:33AM
Walter
The cost savings short term building something yourself are offset long term when things need to be fixed, tweaked, massaged, updated, etc.... Especially when you're talking 7 to 10 workstations (and growing) that need to be overseen and maintained.

Sure... z400/800s are a good solid purchase and make sense in a environment where billable hours is king - but there are folks just getting systems for low budget / home use and I wanted to point out the options if they're happy to be unsupported...
February 01, 2012 10:47AM
Downtime is lost money. Sometimes for someone getting starting the loss can be even more severe. There's nothing like losing editing time or a client because the one NLE in your one person shop is taking you hours to troubleshoot some odd incompatibility that wasn't exposed until a certain set of circumstances arise. Granted I've known some people who are great system builders but that's because they dig very deep into the potential compatibility issues. Those people are the exception rather than rule.
February 01, 2012 10:26PM
Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.3 adds the following features:

Multicam editing with automatic sync and support for mixed formats, mixed frame rates, and up to 64 camera angles
Advanced chroma keying with controls for color sampling and edge quality
Media relink for manual reconnect of projects and Events to new media
Ability to import and edit layered Photoshop graphics
XML 1.1 with support for primary color grades, effect parameters, and audio keyframes
Multiple improvements to the Color Board, including new key commands, editable numeric fields, and adjustable parameters that act like infinite sliders when dragged
Ability to reorder color corrections in the Inspector
Reveal in Event Browser shows clip range in the filmstrip while in List View
Batch offset for clip date and time
Ability to search text added to Favorite and Reject ranges
Beta version of broadcast monitoring with third-party PCIe and Thunderbolt I/O devices

Final Cut Pro X version 10.0.3 also improves overall stability and performance, and addresses the following issues:

Improves performance when editing text in titles
Improves performance when applying an effect from the Effect Browser
Improves keyframing behavior in the Inspector, with keyframes automatically added when moving to a new point in time and adjusting a parameter
Modifies transition behavior so that all newly added transitions use available media and maintain project length
Fixes an issue which affected audio solo while skimming
Resolves issues related to using Synchronize Clips with media containing a silent audio channel
Fixes an issue in which constant speed retiming was not properly applied when using the Paste Effects command
This update is recommended for all users of Final Cut Pro X

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 09, 2012 06:00PM
walterbiscardi Wrote:
> craig seeman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> ----->
> > Walter, it's not just the "Pro" market, it's
> the
> > reverse "Halo" effect as all the personnel at
> > facilities think about their home and mobile
> > computers as they move to HP Workstations at
> work.
> > The further away content creation moves from
> the
> > Apple ecosystem, the easier it gets to move
> > everything else away from the Apple ecosystem.
>
> Yep, we should have our first HP workstation in
> here in the next few weeks for testing finally.
> Cross Platform opportunities with Avid / Adobe are
> big reasons for me to consider those apps. Not
> limited to whatever Apple decides they want to do
> since we, the consumer, cannot ask for anything.
> They will tell us when they're ready.
>
> If Apple goes down a path I like for machines, I
> can go their direction. If not, I have options
> that the software will allow.....

I worked at a production company in Burbank that was all HP's. Luckily they were all XP and not Vista (7 hadn't come out yet). What a huge pain in the ass that was. I had completely forgotten about viruses until I started working there. Even though the systems were not allowed to connect to the internet, we still managed to get viruses on them every other week. Trying to deal with Mac OS formatted drives from other facilities was a total hassle because the owners of the company didn't want to spend the money on MacDrive for every system.

Going the PC route only makes sense if you're willing to pay for the IT. There's very little IT needed for Mac environments.

Just my opinion, obviously.

I'm certainly not completely averse to dipping my toe in the Windows water. When 8 comes out, I'll definitely give it a try on my personal computer.
February 09, 2012 06:32PM
When I engineered at an Avid facility (that's all there really was at the time) we had both Windows and Mac Avids. The difference between dismounting the Shuttles (hard drives) was huge. So easy on the Mac. So risky on Windows if didn't follow the steps perfectly. The Window Avids got viruses because invariably somebody would bring some file or another from "home" (elsewhere at least) that was infected.

Time is money and downtime is money down. Things are better with Windows 7 but Windows seems to have a higher all round cost of ownership over time when factor in the IT work and other related things that eat clock time.
February 09, 2012 06:38PM
Thumbdrive viruses, anyone? But Walter's point is that Apple's core market has shifted from where it was 10 years ago. It would be hard to configure equipment for broadcast when the focus of the manufacturer is on sharing on YouTube.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 09, 2012 07:24PM
One only need to peak into a crystal ball to see that broadcast is moving to broadband so might as well get used to it.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 09, 2012 08:12PM
Michael Horton Wrote:
> One only need to peak into a crystal ball to see
> that broadcast is moving to broadband so might as
> well get used to it.

And YouTube specifically is. I understand they're in process of introducing original programing. There's other stuff going on that I may not be able to talk about at the moment.

Please do not underestimate YouTube or even "online" vs "broadcast"
One wont replace the other but online is going to move very rapidly to higher quality original programming.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics