Any way to get FCPX to recognize a network drive with a Project and Event Library?

Posted by dne202 
Any way to get FCPX to recognize a network drive with a Project and Event Library?
February 07, 2012 07:43PM
I'm trying to get FCPX to use project and event libraries on a drive that's on another computer. Is there any way to get Lion to recognize a drive shared over the network from another apple? When I plug in a usb stick, FCPX recognizes that, but not when I mount a network volume. I'm wondering if there is a way around this either in Lion or FCPX.
Re: Any way to get FCPX to recognize a network drive with a Project and Event Library?
February 08, 2012 11:27PM
Short answer Shazbot! angry smiley

It wasn't working in 10.0.2 so I tried for the first time today in 10.0.3.
I have several computers on my network here with FCPX as well as a NAS drive (low tech no SAN here yet).
I can get to anywhere on the network using using Add SAN but it won't actually let me add anything on the network. I can even log into that point and login at that computer or drive. Every location is ghosted. ADD ghosted.
I can grab the network point itself and I get ADD but I click on that and I get Permission Denied.

Just to make sure there wasn't some odd permissions issue I open my old flame (X Flame?) FCP7.
I go set Scratch disk and every single point on the network gives me access.

Network volumes, other workstations, nothing accessible. My new flame won't let me touch her network points. I guess we haven't been together long enough. Is Apple going to force me to buy XSan just to access another network connected computer.

Page 487 of the 10.0.3 manual says

1. Choose File > Add SAN Location.
2 In the window that appears, navigate to a folder on a network-connected computer or
storage device.

The folder you selected appears as a storage location in the Event Library and the Project Library.

Re: Any way to get FCPX to recognize a network drive with a Project and Event Library?
February 08, 2012 11:44PM
I've heard that this workaround would work but it's awkward.
[www.geniusdv.com]
February 09, 2012 12:07AM
Shazbot indeed! Well crap!

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 09, 2012 10:06AM
> but it's awkward.

Totally. I can only see how it would work for single seat edits (eg. Short form commercials) where you either don't have much rushes, no reshoots and notuch sharing of media. You can't do a reality show or a feature or long form drama with that. How are you going to prep the dailies? How are the editors going to cut without opening 10 or 12 disk images?

How would you manage the media in FCP X? Create a separate disk image for each project?

www.strypesinpost.com
February 09, 2012 10:25AM
Of course it wouldn't be as awkward with SAN as the above is workaround for non SAN networked systems. I guess FCPX focuses on the Pros (SAN users) instead of the prosumers. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

The SAN will have to improve too but I'm going to guess we'll see some significant improvements in that area with FCPX during the year. I wouldn't be surprised why we haven't seen that yet because will be taking a new approach in that area with both Server/SAN Event/Project/Media control.
February 12, 2012 07:58AM
Gerard
Create a separate disk image for each project?
Even that won't help.

- Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
February 12, 2012 03:19PM
And this is the part of FCP X which baffles me- how to manage media from multiple projects (any editor naturally works with a few projects, right?). Just for clarification, I am referring to a "project" as in an edit project, one with many sequences and multiple shoot dates, not an FCP X "project" with one sequence.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics