multi-user editing...is it possible yet?

Posted by clay 
multi-user editing...is it possible yet?
February 07, 2012 10:09PM
Looking seriously at making the jump to FCP X very shortly at our small facility (one editor = me, and occasional post production intern). Wondering if there's a good way that I can use our intern for some of the footage organization/tagging tasks, and then I take over to do the edit? Is it as simple as maintaining one version of the media folder (moving it back and forth between machines) and using Event Manager X to select whether or not it's included in the projects list? Or is there some other way this can be accomplished in a similar fashion to how project sharing would have been done in earlier versions of FCP?

Or is trying anything multi-editor in FCP X foolish?
Re: multi-user editing...is it possible yet?
February 08, 2012 12:41AM
Hi Clay

With the new update to X called 10.0.3 it now has "Xsan" support. This means you can store your footage AND your Events and Project files on a server. Lion Server for example, so yes, your intern and you can work on same or multiple projects. Someone needs to do a tutorial on this. I cant find one.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 08, 2012 07:07AM
Thanks, Michael. I've seen the note about Xsan support...does the server HAVE to be running Xsan, or will a plain jane network folder work as well (assuming it has sufficient data rate to playback the footage)?
February 08, 2012 10:45AM
Well swapping drives will work I imagine, but I cant honestly answer this question having not been in a shared enviroment with X. You might search over on the X forum on Apple to see if this has come up in a thread or 2. I imagine it has.

Michael Horton
-------------------
February 08, 2012 11:32PM
Don't have Server or SAN software installed.
FCPX ADD SAN and I can go to any networked computer or drive or Event folder and
I CAN'T ADD IT.

Open FCP7 and I have no problem access any networked computer or drive.

Sigh!
February 08, 2012 11:45PM
I've heard that this workaround would work but it's awkward.
[www.geniusdv.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics