Export 7d Footage after Sync without a loss

Posted by dne202 
Export 7d Footage after Sync without a loss
February 27, 2012 02:04PM
Okay, I know I'm asking too much here, but I've just got to ask. Is there any way to export 7d h264 footage from FCPX without recompressing or transcoding it?

Here's what I'm trying to do. I bring in h264 footage from my 7d and then sync it with my other audio sources. What I'd love to do when I'm finished with that is export all that footage in a single quicktime file. I don't want to transcode it to ProRes, and I don't want to make a reference movie. I just want to do this the way I used to shoot out DV footage with Same as Source compression.

When I do export same as source, I end up with a file nearly twice the size of the original media put together... so I'm guessing there's some kind decompression or transcoding going on there. I also don't want to take up more than twice the space on my drives when I don't need to. When I choose h264 as my export codec, I get a file nearly half the size of the original media combined. So there's got to be some data loss. I want my porridge to be just right. Is that to much to ask? smiling smiley

I'm willing to look at some kind of 3rd party program that can run off the XML from FCPX if FCPX can't handle it.

There's got to be some way to preserve the raw footage information while I export with the sync audio.
Re: Export 7d Footage after Sync without a loss
February 27, 2012 02:54PM
The file has to be encoded since there's no way to "join" H.264 files in FCPX. Quicktime can do it with H.264 .mov I believe but, in my experience, there are all sorts of pitfalls with that.

Encoded file size is dependent on the data rate you use to export. Personally I'd recommend exporting to ProRes so you have a master. When I'm in a hurry I use Matrox with MAX to encode the ProRes file to H.264. I have done this workflow from H.264 source to ProRes to MAX. It works well. Blazing fast. Compression, even if you match the source file size and go out to H.264 is still going to lose quality. H.264 is a "lossy" codec. That's why some people don't like acquiring in it. That's why people buy external recorders and record to ProRes, DNxHD, Uncompressed 4:2:2 which are much less lossy. Granted that's tough to do from a DSLR although I've hearing scuttlebutt about some workarounds. Maybe it was a MagicLantern update.
Re: Export 7d Footage after Sync without a loss
February 29, 2012 09:21PM
Thanks for the reply, craig. I guess I've just got to go with what I got!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics