Green screen blues

Posted by paul kelleher 
Green screen blues
March 15, 2012 12:50AM
Hey Guys - I have a keying problem- HAIR!

I know this is a common problem. I dont know if its fixable or if its a bad green screen shoot. I can get a decent key on the woman when still, but on playback the edge of her hair looks buzzy fuzzy, vibrating. I've toyed with all the controls, read and watched tutorials, but I can't get it much better. Any suggestions?

Thanks

PS. No- I dont have ( or know) After Effects.

oops - sorry- this was shot with a sony hd cam
avc1', 1440 x 1080 (1920 x 1080), Millions, then transcoded to prores 422. There was a lot of green on the hair edges so I'm assuming the subject was close to the screen
Re: Green screen blues
March 15, 2012 02:45AM
Choke the mask. The key will look like crap, but the chroma keyer in FCP sucks for pulling a final key. Motion may be better and you may want to track and mask the hair separately.

What format did you shoot on? How was the scene lit? How does the green look?

www.strypesinpost.com
March 15, 2012 11:23AM
I was not there for the shoot.The format is listed above. I'm working in fcp x . Does that still suck or are you talking about fcp 7. Forgive my ignorance but I dont know how to choke the mask.... or even if its painful..
March 15, 2012 11:36AM
Watch our LAFCPUG meeting demo with Larry Jordan on you tube part 1 talks about using the keyed in fcpx

larry jordan on you tube

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
March 29, 2012 12:13AM
Larry mentions that there is correction if the subject is "too close" to the green screen.

What's considered "too close" to the green screen?
March 29, 2012 01:09AM
From what I hear, maybe minimum 3 feet.
March 29, 2012 09:26AM
Others would say 6 feet.

One factor is the light kit you have.

Another is obviously the space you have. There's nothing like having to shoot on a portable green screen in an 8x10 office.

How can you tell you're close than you'd like to be? Green spill on the talent. It's not often obvious in camera but is when you try to pull the key. Keying software has gotten so good that often this can be improved if not outright fixed in post. Take the new FCPX keyer (as updated in 10.0.3) for a spin. Alternately FXFactory/Phyx Keyer for FCPX is worth a look. Green spill is a reasonable fix. Of course pushing pixels too much is never a good thing so it's best to open up the space and avoid spill to begin with.
April 01, 2012 07:52PM
pypo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Larry mentions that there is correction if the
> subject is "too close" to the green screen.
>
> What's considered "too close" to the green screen?

Too close is not an actual distance, but a function of how bright your green screen is, what your talent is wearing, and how the foreground is lit. As others have pointed out, green spill on your foreground is a real PITA. It really isn't necessary to light your background so that it is visible from space. I prefer it be 30-50 units on a waveform monitor. Having even illumination and good saturation are important to good mattes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics