How To Hide a Clip in Timeline

Posted by pypo 
How To Hide a Clip in Timeline
March 16, 2012 03:27PM
Hiding and showing a single clip in the timeline used to be easy in FCP but I don't see how in FCPX. Can't find this anywhere.
Re: How To Hide a Clip in Timeline
March 16, 2012 03:59PM
Oh. Of course. Right click the clip and select "Disable". That makes so much more sense than "Hide". Because Hide could refer to a children's game, and that doesn't make sense to most people, whereas normal people think of "Disable" when they want to hide. All clear now. Thanks Apple. You're brilliant ! (you frigging pecker-headed asperger freaks).
March 16, 2012 05:06PM
Even easier maybe. The "V" key disables/Hides the clip . . . well it's still there, it's just grey. You can also hide bunches of clips using Roles depending on how you've assigned them . . . almost like turning off a track.
March 17, 2012 11:41AM
While "V" makes the clip visible or not, roles might be the better solution.
With invisible clips in the timeline these settings are ignored during export.
March 17, 2012 11:51AM
Hey pypo,
It was enable/disable in the context menus of FCP 7.

I don't know that it was ever show/hide or visible/invisible except in the vernacular.

Could be wrong about that though, once I learned that shortcut I never looked it up again. I use it all the time. I think if I ever talked about it I always used in/visible.
Whether there's better terminology to use I wouldn't argue about that, other than to say in a software package that adds 10 more layers of abstraction to an already abstracted OS (files, desktop, trash?) anyones choice of terminology is always going to be subjective and divisive. What does a disolve look like, graphically? Video=blue, audio=green right? Of course.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 17, 2012 12:50PM
Well, the only thing required is a little toggle icon somewhere in the clip title bar in the timeline. Plenty of room there for an [on/off], [show/hide], [enable/disable] switch. An 8 hour coding task for someone at Apple clever enough to avoid the FCPX program management wizards.
March 18, 2012 08:59PM
You used to have to hold down Control and press the "B" key now you just press the "V" key much easier.
Notice I said press and not HIT?

------------------------
Dean

"When I see you floating down the gutter I'll give you a bottle of wine."
Captain Beefheart, Trout Mask Replica.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics