How to Copy Just the Color Correction to Another Clip

Posted by pypo 
How to Copy Just the Color Correction to Another Clip
March 25, 2012 01:19AM
Trying to copy color correction settings from one clip to another. Don't want to paste all effects. Just the color correction settings.
Re: How to Copy Just the Color Correction to Another Clip
March 25, 2012 02:23AM
While you can't copy paste, if you go into Commands there's unassigned keyboard command (you must custom assign) so you can copy a color correction up to three clips forward or back much as you could in FCP7.
March 26, 2012 04:43PM
...and this is a step forward?
March 26, 2012 05:21PM
Andy Field Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...and this is a step forward?

Why would you expect it to be? FCPX is still in its infancy much as the first few iterations of OSX was compared to OS9.
I suspect the handling of filters as metadata is radically different than it was in FCP7.

Given some more time, it probably will be a major step forward.
March 28, 2012 03:19PM
Craig - I enjoy your posts, but you are THE most blindly optimistic FCPX cheerleader on the planet. " Just wait for that next update and everything will work fine...."

Not sure what type of business you run, but if it's pro-broadcast or film, it's difficult to see why you would put up with half baked when the full course meal was already available in version 7.

Why would I expect it to be a step forward (no copy paste attributes)

Because Apple has a decade of pro-pleasing experience.... the company knew what editors need in every day crank it out situations...and simply ignored their imput (see Larry Jordan et al comments about their "sheafs" of comments that were disregarded..)

Seriously -- going back to rubber banding audio is a step forward? When every other NLE has had realtime keyframe recording mixing modules for years? That is a giant leap backward.

It's great FCPX works for you - just hard to understand is why your posts often sound like dispatches from Apple's usually silent PR department. Best Andy
March 28, 2012 04:29PM
Not pro broadcast or film nor is FCPX ready for that.
Corporate video and local cable spots, it's more than ready for (well almost ready for in some cases).

Audio is FCPX Achilles heel for sure. I curse at it. It's not insurmountable though in the short form work that I do.

There are things about FCPX which I find leagues ahead of other NLEs (I spent 10+ years on Avid, trained editors on it, was a facility engineer for both Mac and Windows systems).

The keyword and smart collections are excellent.

While I'm just toying with the new multicam feature and, despite some shortcomings, it's great for many projects. It portends some other things I think.

I despised trimming in FCP legacy (especially compared to Avid) but FCPX is much closer to getting timeline trimming right (if they'd only allow for more complex trims and better audio handling).

That I can finally edit a title over video is a really nice improvement. The built in chroma keyer is really nice. Sub frame audio tweaking is nice as well (especially compared to clunky FCP7).

I have mixed feelings about the color board.
March 28, 2012 05:11PM
Craig -- agree the text is better in FCPX -- but it's maddening that if you apply a transition to a title that isn't a standard built in transition - the transition is applied to the title AND the video below it Try it with an FXFactory particle transition or third party wipes etc.....

This worked as advertised in FCP 7 - but not in this program -- and yes I tried it on secondary story lines - no dice
March 28, 2012 05:44PM
I'm not having the problem at all. Select the edge of a connected clip (bracket key for example) for example and double click on the FXFactory of transition of my choice and it goes were it should, to the selected edge.
March 30, 2012 07:25AM
Hmm,

Quite funny.
I especially don't like text in FCPX -- it's one of the really weak parts of FCPX for my jobs. Though I can type directly into the video I mostly see the borders of the text box or the cursor (maybe I'm doing something wrong), to the see the picture without the text box borders or cursor I've to deselect the title or to type in the text within the inspector, if there are more than one text field you have to click around in the canvas then get into the inspector -- that's at least as same as bad as with FCP. But as said my special case.
Working with subtitles -- like I do -- FCPX is better than the current version of Premiere, not not as good as Avid, but from all FCP is far the best. Subtitling for shows or movies quite often have way more than a few hundred subtitles and in most cases require a collaborative environment. In this special case FCP really shines -- even though it needs rendering. Premiere only supports .scc and .mcc which are finally only "really" defined for SD and may match HD servers and receivers or not, Avid is more open and allows their own DS format and EBU STL (which finally is outdated as well). FCP allowed XML which with some 3rd party stuff allowed nearly everything.
Using FCPX a 1000 titles take around 3-10 minutes (depending on machine) in FCP it takes 5-15 seconds. Beside the time difference on import the big issue with FCPX is that I have to setup styles for each title. That can take quite a while -- especially if you got more than one language. If you want to do burnt in subtitles FCP on a decent machine is about 10 times faster than FCPX with rendering. In FCPX though you can switch off background rendering and work faster compared to FCP once you you've made your subtitle setups. Rendering on export works fine and fast with FCPX -- some people say it's not that good compared to rendering the project upfront. But I've no idea whether it's true or not, especially because other people say: on export FCPX does not care about rendered files and even includes bad or no render files.

I don't work with audio in a way that I change it (except I/O) or apply effects, levels or something like that -- I don't care. I only care about metadata of the audio and there FCPX is even worse than FCP which had been somehow bad as well.
As I wrote in some earlier posts, if you got some list of mono BWAV files with metadata included and merge the mono files into a single clip you will loose any source metadata including time code -- that's not fun. With 10.0.3 they at least stay in sync most of the time. But compared to FCP it's poor.

About the transitions on text: if the title does have a drop zone (in most cases you see a kind of landscape in the browser preview) transitions can affect the underlying video. In this case even any other effect applied to the text can affect the underlying video.
Same for transitions -- if they do have a drop zone they probably will affect underlying video.

Coming back to the original post, copy paste effects hadn't been that much better with FCP but still way easier as with FCPX.

Finally I'm with Andy (and Craig) saying that this version of FCPX is not ready yet for bigger projects which do need source metadata and a collaborative environment.
But news stuff and similar things, wedding videos (not saying those are not processional), advertisement, short term documentaries are very well suited for use with FCPX -- again if you don't need too much of the source metadata.

Just some thoughts
Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
March 30, 2012 08:28AM
Hey Andreas, thanks for the Title Exchange tool. I'm currently using the demo version to send a chyron (subtitle) list for approval from my show producers for burnt in subs and it's incredibly handy and fast.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 30, 2012 08:38AM
Gerard,

Thanks for the compliments smiling smiley

Andreas

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
April 11, 2012 03:27PM
Once you have color corrected a clip, you can save the CC settings as a Preset. Then select all the other clips you want to correct and apply the Preset.

--ken
April 14, 2012 01:41PM
Thanks Ken. You hit what seems to be the best practice.

Nevertheless. "Preset" is another stupid name (listening Apple developers?). Really. Why not "postset". Why not just "set". Exactly what is "pre" about it?

For those of you who want to try this, don't type "preset" in the FCPX help box. There is no help on "preset". Maybe the people in Apple documentation don't like it either, and are boycotting the term.

Anyway, use Google, which provides better documentation search than Apple does on Apple products. Here is what you will find:

In the Color Correction inspector, click the ?wheel? dropdown and choose Save Preset (it actually looks like a gear to me, not a wheel, but whatever).

Happy Tweeking.
April 14, 2012 04:15PM
If Apple is listening by the way, it's just ridiculous to have the "preset" option for color correction only.

Instead we should be able to save the setting of ANY effect by simply clicking "Save" in the Inspector tab for that effect, and being prompted for a name. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that. It's not asking for much. This stuff is just all objective C anyway, so it's a piece of cake to save these settings.

For a company with $80 billion in the bank, Apple sure doesn't know how to invest in software or documentation. Pathetic. Really just pathetic. The only advantage Apple has, is that most other software, Microsoft's in particular, is even more pathetic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics