720p 60fps

Posted by CyWar 
720p 60fps
March 30, 2012 07:02PM
Can someone explain why I would want to video at 720p 60fps? One of my new "toys" has that setting in addition to 720p 30fps.
Also, why and when would I want to set my FCP X project at 60fps? I've searched the 'net, but don't seem to find any concise answers. Any help would be appreciated, or a link that might explain it to me.

Thanks,
Techo-Hostage in Arizona

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
Re: 720p 60fps
March 30, 2012 08:29PM
720p is a video format. Here are some documents about 720p50/60 and 1080p50/60:

[tech.ebu.ch]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 01, 2012 07:46PM
60 fps is especially useful for shooting sports and fast action. It captures things moving across the frame without the strobing you see at 30 or 24 frame rates. It also gives you smoother slo-mo effects. FOX, ABC and ESPN adopted it as their broadcast format in part for that reason.

-V
April 02, 2012 08:07AM
720p/60 equals 29.97 fps for broadcast. That is it converts perfectly to 1080i / 29.97 for broadcast because the 60 progressive frames turn into 60 interlaced fields perfectly cleanly.

If you shoot 720p / 30 and then convert that to 1080i / 29.97 for broadcast or blu-ray you get a lot of strobing in the image because you only have 30 frames for 60 fields. So each frame is doubled giving you a strobing image.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
April 02, 2012 10:51AM
Thanks for the info. All my videos are hosted on Vimeo and I embed them on my personal website for family and friends to view on their computers and tablet devices. I'm now designing a website that uses HTML-5 exclusively. Occasionally, I will make a DVD for someone so they can watch it on their TV at home.

I use FCP X to do all my editing. I find 720p is the perfect video format for my needs. I usually run them through Compressor and use the default Apple setting for Large 540p video sharing, for sites such as Vimeo or YouTube, before I upload them to Vimeo. A lot of my family and friends do not live in major cities and only have DSL connections of maybe 1.5Mb. HD video is difficult for them to download and play smoothly. I used to convert everything to SD, but have gotten feedback that tells me 540p works fine for most of them. All my projects in FCP X have been set at 720p 30fps, as that is the video setting I use on my camera.

What I'm trying to understand is what happens when I put a 720p 60fps clip on the timeline of a 720p 30fps? I thought it would produce slow-motion, but somehow FCP X fits it into the timeline at 30fps. I'm still experimenting with this.

I do see where setting the camera at 720p 60fps produces much sharper images on moving items and pans, albeit the file size really gets big. I'm going to try shooting an entire video in 60fps to see what happens in FCP X. I presume that if all my clips are 60fps, I would also want to set my project to 60fps and export my master as same before sending to Compressor? That's another choice I'm a bit confused about.

I'm in my 70's, located in the remote rural White Spar mountain area of Northern Arizona. Moved here after 40 plus years in Los Angeles.
I really, really miss Broadband High-Speed Internet. Out here, we are stuck with Qwest/Century Link DSL. The availability of any training or schooling out here is a bit on the weak side. Phoenix is about the nearest city for any classes I could take. So, I rely heavily on LAFCPUG and all you wonderful folks. I'm also a big fan of Izzy Video. Between all of you, I've learned a lot. Thanks to everyone for your guidance and help in getting this old Curmudgeon to understand all this technical stuff. Hopefully, one day, I will stop referring to myself as a "techo-hostage"spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Regards, Cyrus
iMac 27" Intel i7 Quad-Core; 16GB RAM; 2TB HD
Final Cut Studio, FCP X, Photoshop CS5, After Effects, etc.
April 02, 2012 12:45PM
>If you shoot 720p / 30 and then convert that to 1080i / 29.97 for broadcast or blu-ray you get
>a lot of strobing in the image because you only have 30 frames for 60 fields

I would disagree on this. 30p should look just like 30p, temporally a little "better" than 24fps. In my world (the PAL world), 25p is always broadcasted in a 50i stream (essentially 25psF), just that we send it in an interlaced 50i stream for broadcast. This applies for most dramas, all films and most music videos. You don't notice the duplicated frames and there should be no frame blending when transferring 25 fps to 50, or 30 fps to 60. You don't need more motion blur going to a higher frame rate. Film in cinemas used to be screened with a 2 blade shutter, so that 24fps is projected at 48 times a second, and it actually looks better, because a 24Hz flicker is jarring.

On the other hand, going from 60 Hz to 30 Hz (or 50Hz to 25Hz) may result in stuttering/strobing. This is especially true with fast movement and a shutter speed set for shooting at higher frame rates (50/60Hz). This is because faster frame rates allow you to shoot with higher shutter speed (less motion blur).

Shoot 24fps if you are going out to web. That extra 6 fps gets you nothing that noticeable, neither does shooting 60Hz when you are editing in 30fps. Some folks will say that you get neither the motion quality of film nor the liquid smoothness of motion in 60Hz.

The only advantage of shooting at 60Hz for 30fps output is that you can do better slow mos with it. Even better if you shot 60fps for 24fps. You can slow mo down to 40% without interpolating any of the frames. This technique for shooting slow mos is called over cranking- where you shoot at higher frame rates to play them out in slow motion at slower frame rates. But naturally, shoot only the slow mo shots that way.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 02, 2012 12:49PM
>It captures things moving across the frame without the strobing you see at 30 or 24 frame
>rates.

The motion quality also depends on the shutter speed.

The funny thing is that I have never heard of 720p50 as a broadcast format. Not in Asia. Maybe they use it in a couple of stations in Australia. (Nick? Jude?) Not sure about Europe.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 02, 2012 06:54PM
Most stations here (the non-HD ones) are actually still SD. The HD channels, as far as I know, all require 1080.

April 04, 2012 09:29AM
It will result in smooth slow motion once you conform it to 23.97.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics