Not happy with FCP X

Posted by dmings 
Not happy with FCP X
April 05, 2012 07:27AM
I haven't been keeping up with the conversations lately because, just too busy, so if this is already asked and answered, please just direct me to the spot. We just purchased a new MAC and FCP X. We have several other MACs running everything fom FCP 5 up to FCP 7. In our work flow, we need maximumb flexibility regarding output file formats, DVD creation, etc. We are very dissapointed with FCP X. It seems to have been created for consumers, not professionals. Many of the tools and settings that we depend on are missing, and perhaps the greatest problem is that we didn't get DVD Studio Pro. The DVDs that FCP X creates aren't compatible with our LEXUS software that we use to put videos on the air. I realize that Apple is trying to force us to do everything "in the cloud", but many of us are not able to completely switch to that model yet. I feel that Apple has removed them from the professional field with this product, and that it's sale to us as a new FCP that would be similar to what we bought in the past is fraudulent. Unfortunately their sales and tech depts are not being very helpful. Are others experiencing this kind of problem? What are our options? Dale
Re: Not happy with FCP X
April 05, 2012 07:41AM
Any reason you can't just keep using DVD Studio Pro on the old Final Cut Studio suite?

www.derekmok.com
April 05, 2012 07:47AM
No, except it interrupts our workflow. If we want to do any usefule editing on the new machine, we will have to transfer the QT to another machine to make the DVD. We are an all-PC network, so currently can't do that over the network, but supposedly the techs are setting it up. Still, it requires bumping a user off of another editing station and adds headache to the process. We frequently export the QT, drop it in DVD Studio Pro and go to lunch. Transferring adds additional steps and time.
April 05, 2012 08:48AM
What did you do before you bought FCPX?
April 05, 2012 09:11AM
>We are an all-PC network

You should be able to connect to the network via SMB. What happens when you click connect to server? Do you see the network drive? You may need a user and password to connect.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 06, 2012 09:42AM
We generally make a DVD right there on the same machine using DVD Studio Pro. This gives us a lot of flexibility, including things like copyright protection if we want to use it. In FCP X we don't have as much control, and the NEXUS software won't rip the DVDs it makes. (NEXUS is our primary playback tool in the actual TV station, and it uses a ripping function instead of a capture function.) We will eventually move to a more direct transfer method, but we aren't ready for that yet.
April 06, 2012 11:06AM
I'm a little lost. I'm trying to understand this. Are you saying you are ripping the DVD that you just created? Are you using DVD's for storage? Then when you need something from the past, you rip the DVD's?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics