Automatic Clip Importing

Posted by pypo 
Automatic Clip Importing
April 13, 2012 01:43PM
When I plug an SD card into a USB slot, FCPX pops up a screen with import options. Actually I prefer to import myself just by drag and drop. Apple seems obsessed with these kind of "helpful" (actually annoying) wizards (iTunes, this, others).

1) How do you turn the automatic import wizard popup OFF, permanently?

2) When I use the wizard anyway (because I can't turn it off under preferences) why is FCPX importing only one frame of the clip? That's pretty annoying.

3) Assuming Apple developers actually know what they are doing (dangerous), why would I let FCPX organize my clips anyway? I understand directory structures (duh). My own workflow is probably better than Apple's consumer version.

Thank you.
Re: Automatic Clip Importing
April 13, 2012 02:26PM
The card type gives no indication of the format you're dealing with.

FCPX is a metadata driven program so the importer serves in the analysis.
If it's only importing one frame there's a problem with your system, the card, the codec, or you're looking at the single frame picon in the Event Browser.
FCPX is metadata driven. It doesn't organize for you beyond what you tell it to in preferences except that it will put the clips in a single event.
April 13, 2012 02:39PM
Thank you. I don't need any of that then.

Do you know how to turn it off? I looked in preferences, but found nothing.

Thanks.
April 14, 2012 05:30AM
Pypo,

I can feel your pain.
But just quit all the "automatic" apps before you mount the cards.

It has nothing to do with Bill's "FCPX is metadata driven" at all. All versions of FCP had been metadata driven but in another way.
FCPX stuff is based on SQL and Core Data where specs for latter one probably won't be published ever.
And to be honest, if I look at the XML features of FCPX, metadata are as poor as with an ancient EDL.
FCPX is a closed eco system with not a lot of options to make it work like you want.

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics