Linear PCM /Quick time

Posted by Hudsin 
Linear PCM /Quick time
April 24, 2012 02:12PM
Recently we shot from the Panasonic HVX 200 P2 cam via firewire to live capture on FCP 6.6 on a laptop. exporting from FCP using DVCPRO linear PCM codec I was not able to view these files through Quicktime only the audio plays out. These files willl play however on VLC , yet when in I import these files to FCPX again it only imports the audio files.

Is there a way to convert the codec to view these files in Quicktime? and when when doing a live capture from the Panasonic HVX 200 to FCP is there a better way ?
Re: Linear PCM /Quick time
April 24, 2012 03:02PM
Are you working with more than 1 machine? It does sound like you don't have the DvcproHD codec. Download P2CMS from here. It includes the Dvcprohd codec for QT.

[panasonic.sixbullets.net]

www.strypesinpost.com
April 25, 2012 02:04PM
Sorry for the delayed response - when we shot the content we captured to FCP on the laptop they were not in the P2 card just as Quicktime files. We were using the laptop for onsite live capture . later we edit on a MAC Pro with FCPX.
April 25, 2012 05:08PM
The P2CMS includes a QT decoder for Dvcprohd. This lets QT read the file. VLC is able to decode many formats even without QT support because it uses the FFMPEG lib.

Man! You're capturing a live FireWire feed from the HVX200? That seems like the most convoluted option with little or no benefits that recording straight to an edit station would provide (I would even prefer recording to P2 cards).

Seeing that you are working in FCP X, I'm shifting this thread over to the LA-X forum.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 25, 2012 05:22PM
My Department says we have the P2CMS installed on the MAC Pro where we edit on FCPX . The reason we did a live capture to a laptop with FCP was the event we were filming was a 3 day seminar. Yes we could of recorded to a P2 card in our case we have a 32 and an 8 gig card but we still have limited time and have to sum them between sessions. But the time between sessions was limited so we decided to try the straight capture . Definitely will capture to the cards in the future.
April 25, 2012 05:39PM
You have an HVX-200A shooting a live event and only 40GB worth of cards? Time to budget for a lot more. I did some narrative shoots with those, very simple (music videos, not a lot of takes, no sync sound) and 32GB fell far short even on those.

www.derekmok.com
April 25, 2012 06:27PM
Well it would be great to get more cards but we are an educational institution with budget constraints. the P2 was the B- cam and the HMC AG-40 was the A Cam.
April 25, 2012 07:32PM
Do you have FCP 7 or QT 7 player (not X) installed in the machine? It used to be that classic FCP will read whatever QT can read, so the moment you have the decoder component for QT, FCP will be able to read those same files.

QT X and QT sometimes don't share the same components. So I'm wondering if you can actually view in QT 7.

The other guess is that Panasonic may have upgraded their P2CMS component so it no longer comes with the QT component, but i somehow doubt that.

www.strypesinpost.com
April 26, 2012 03:00AM
On the laptop we did the live capture to is FCP 6.06 with QT 7.6.4 and P2CMS is installed. On the MAC Pro where we edit with FCPX we have QT 10.1 In the MAC Pro these are Final Cut Capture Files which only play audio in QT with a linear PCM codec yet say Quick Time Movie in the info.

When initially captured in FCP 6.06 the file structure breaks down such as: Private/AVCD/MISC/DCIM . AVCHD opens to BDMV/AVCHDTN folder and BDMV opens to Stream Playlist MovieOJB.BDM INDEX.BDM CLIPNF. AVCHDTN oflder opens to THUMB. TID and THUMB.TDT.

The Folders MISC opens to AUTPRINT.MRK DCM opens to an empty folder : MISC
April 26, 2012 11:54AM
Install QT 7. It is an addtional installation on your installation disc or you can download it from here:

[support.apple.com]

Install P2CMS on your editing machine.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics