fcp 7 to x

Posted by davidblumenfeld 
fcp 7 to x
June 13, 2012 06:50AM
Hi. I have a project I shot on tape and edited 2 years ago on fcp7. The client asked me to do a follow-up on the story and I shot it with 5DMarkII and now want to edit it on x. They want me to make a few changes to the original and then add on another 2-3 minutes to the end of the video.

So, basically, I want to take the old project on 7 and upgrade it to x and then add new scenes. Is the 7 to X app the best way to go? I tried it and the subtitles are all misplaced and look terrible, and the clips don't look as good as in the original, I guess because they are being re-converted to another format now (ProRes) to match the canon 5d formatting...any suggestions on a good workflow for this? Thanks
Re: fcp 7 to x
June 13, 2012 08:58AM
7 to X would have no impact on quality. You can control the proxy/optimization process in X (turn it off).
It's possible it is having issues with titles. Make sure you have current version and contact the developer Philip Hodgetts as he's very good with bug fixes as well as documenting known issues. Usually he'd ask for the XML to see what's happening.
June 13, 2012 09:36AM
Thanks. I also found that some of the audio files didn't come through...I'll contact Philip. Is 7 to X the only and/or best way for this?
June 13, 2012 10:33AM
Definitely the best way and Philip supports aggressively.
They're very on top of changes in FCPX XML and he's quick to fix issues.
Personally having this done by a third party (and he does communicate with Apple) allows for much better support and faster fix turnaround.
June 14, 2012 06:18AM
David,

7toX is the only way to go.

Audio link errors definitively can be handled with XML. So I think Philip can help.
Titles and subtitles can't be handled via XML since the new FCPXML can't handle, means does not support settings for them. So it's not Philip's fault and he can't change anything -- 7toX does a best guess, that's all it can do, titles in FCP are totally different from those used in FCPX. You have to re-edit them all. Just make a short test to understand. Create a little project with a few titles, tweak each title a bit, export as FCPXML, import the FCPXML. You will see that all of your settings are lost.
One thing you can do -- it's cumbersome -- you can download my gRender app. It will create a new FCP legacy XML where each title is one frame long. Open the XML in FCP and export as image sequence. These images can be imported into FCPX and you can replace the titles with the images, they will look the same as in FCP but you can't change them i.e. text, font etc.

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
June 27, 2012 07:35AM
Hi. I got it to work in the end. It is a bit slow and I'm finding I'm getting a lot of spinning beach balls for about 10-30 seconds and crashes...I'm wondering if I should use Digital Rebellion or any other suggestions to make fcpx work smoother. Thanks.
June 27, 2012 07:36AM
btw, I am on a I Mac, Version 10.7.4, 2.93 GH Intel COre i7, 8GB 1333 MHz
June 27, 2012 07:38AM
I'm also Stil working on FCP X 10.03...shall I update to 10.05 for more stability??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics