FCPX updated today to 10.0.5 - More stable and faster. It's about time!

Posted by Russ Blaise 
FCPX updated today to 10.0.5 - More stable and faster. It's about time!
June 13, 2012 11:35PM
Today Apple updated FCPX to (10.0.5). I went to the Apple FCPX forum and found that many users were complaining about it crashing after doing the update. I updated it anyway. After playing around with it for a few hours I have to report that I DID NOT have any crashes, and that this update is much much more stable and faster. 10.0.4 was a pig and I had to stop using it.

Mac Pro 1,1 - Loin - 16gb Ram - ATI 5770 - CalDigit VR
Re: FCPX updated today to 10.0.5 - More stable and faster. It's about time!
June 13, 2012 11:55PM
Release notes can be found here

[support.apple.com]

Michael Horton
-------------------
June 14, 2012 06:27AM
Most reports I'm hearing is that 10.0.5 has been a good stability release. Lots of people reporting beach balls and crashing going away. I'd wonder if crashes follow an OS or config pattern. I'd suspect 10.6.8 and/or or systems with smaller amounts of RAM or VRAM might have issues. As Apple pushes to Mountain Lion I think they may not be much QC on older OSs or systems. Many video utilities seem to be requiring 10.7.4 now so it's possible plugins might be an issue as well.
June 18, 2012 05:17PM
Spoke to Matrox today and they haven't tested the update with their drivers as yet and advised not to do the update for Matrox users. Right now they are working on drivers for CS6 and should come out with a new universal driver for the MXO2 in July sometime.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 18, 2012 05:48PM
Steve, are you saying that Matrox is coming out with an universal driver that I can go back and forth from CS6 and FCPX without doing an unistall/install every time I switch?
June 18, 2012 06:06PM
Russ Blaise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve, are you saying that Matrox is coming out
> with an universal driver that I can go back and
> forth from CS6 and FCPX without doing an
> unistall/install every time I switch?

Matrox has to dig out of driver for specific NLE hole. I have issues in that I use MXO for other things as well ranging from input to Wirecast and ScreenFlow and on both 10.6.8 and 10.7.x but the older OS may have to be updated soon.
June 18, 2012 07:30PM
Matrox appears to be under pressure from Adobe to get their driver out. I believe one has been released but was told that they are focusing on a new one. The universal driver he hesitantly said should be coming out in July. Whether or not you will be able bypass the install/uninstall is something that was not mentioned but 'universal' implies that you should be able to switch without having to go through that rigamarole. I hope. Plus remember that they are already working on drivers that will work in Mountain Lion so the universal driver appeared, to me, to be at the end of their priority list. The person I spoke to in customer support was not someone I had talked to before. I got the feeling that he really wasn't sure about any of this.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 28, 2012 10:53AM
Steve --

Thinking back to your 2009 article reviewing the Black Magic Intensity Pro, does the BM card output HDMI video properly in FCP-X, as it does in FCP-7, for monitoring purposes? I'm stilll on the fence about making the switch from FCP-7.
June 28, 2012 11:41AM
Hey Vic,
Afraid I can't provide a good answer. I have been using the MXO2 box for some time and have not reinstalled the BM Intensity Pro to test it with X. I would contact Black Magic to find out. While X has had a lot of criticisms, it is a very intuitive app that will continue to improve upon itself and, in some ways, vastly superior to FCP7 especially in terms of media management. I just wish they hadn't changed all the keyboard shortcuts...a dumb move on Apple's part.
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 28, 2012 12:02PM
OK - thanks, Steve. I think I'll get "X", since it can coexist with -7, and play around with it. Roaming around on the BM site, it "appears" that it will work -- I'm using it only for HDMI & analog audio output, not ingesting.

I like -7 a lot, and it has done well for me, but I'm not keen on staying with software that is essentially beyond its EOL. At the -X price-point, it's not like investing in the Suite, as we once had to do.

Cheers, Vic
June 28, 2012 12:12PM
Vic,
Once you get your head around the different concepts of X's projects and events vs 7's projects and sequences, the rest is intuitive. However, the only way to really learn it is not by fiddling around in it during breaks. Start a whole new project and do the work in X. You will learn quickly from that. I've been giving lessons in X to several via iChat where I can take over their computers or allow them to take over mine and almost all the students seem to be adapting well to the new GUI
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 28, 2012 01:11PM
I think I'll take your advice, Steve. I have a small project coming up, and, if everything (me) in X blows-up, I can revert back to -7. Hopefully, that won't be the case. I recall my early days, moving from EditDV to FCP-3; I just jumped-in, and, after a little terror, figured out what I was doing and had a great experience, never looking back.

I've also read that X can ingest AVCHD video without transcoding; it that's true, it will help a lot, since my primary camera is an HMC-150.

-vic
June 28, 2012 03:06PM
Vic,
Like Steve said. Once you get your head around it, you'll be able to edit a project with no problems. It's actually a fun program to work in. It does some really cool stuff. The only problem you might encounter is if it crashes a lot. Which can be very annoying. I had to stop using it until the 10.0.5 version was released. It's pretty stable for me now.
June 28, 2012 03:12PM
Hey Russ,
I really haven't had problems with FCX crashing but I did hear that the new 0.5 was causing crashes and I have not installed it yet. Are you using anything to go out to an external monitor and is that still okay in the new update?
Steve

steve-sharksdelight
June 28, 2012 03:52PM
Steve,

I remember over on the Adobe forum everyone was complaining about 0.5 was crashing. For me, 0.5 solved that problem. But I think now everyone has done things to stop the crashing like cleaning out the prefs and such.

I use the MXO2 mini for external monitor and it's works fine with 0.5
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics