Creating and importing subtitles for Fcp X

Posted by Francois 
Creating and importing subtitles for Fcp X
July 31, 2012 08:01AM
I have lots of subtiles to generate on Fcp X "projects" (Sequences...)

Somebody, (not an editor), is going to create them in some text editing app.

I need to provide him with a workflow.

He needs to play the QuickTime movie I will export for him. Navigate inside easily, "frame accurate", mark the in & out for each sub, write the sub...

Then give me a XML file that I could import into Fcp X and ... voilà ! all subs in place.

Is this possible with Tile Exchange from Spherico Tools ? Visited the site... not very explicit.
Re: Creating and importing subtitles for Fcp X
August 02, 2012 05:12AM
Hi Francois,

It's not possible with TitleExchange - I know it cause I'm the author of the app.
TitleExchange is an app to convert subtitle formats, not to create them.

But there are many applications out there which do allow to do. Some are cheap, others are expensive.
Except the new Belle Nuit currently none of them allow to work with FCPX. The bad thing with Belle Nuit might be that you can't edit the rendered subtitles within FCPX.

But there is another thing you can try:
• Create a subtitle version with the free Belle Nuit online version.
• Save the file.
• In TitleExchange select Belle Nuit XML as source and STL Text as output format.

There is a free app which comes with TEP which is called XTI. This app allows to convert STL text files to a FCPXML file. Read the help before starting to work with the app.
The resulting project FCPXML can be imported into FCPX.
Something you've to be aware of is that FCPXML does not support any kind of font information. So font type, font size, font style and alignment will be ignored — and you have to go thru all subtitles and re-edit them.

So in any case Apples FCPX is not really an app to work on subtitles with co-workers, but it's better than PPro which doesn't allow to import/export editable subtitles. Avid or the old fashioned FCP would be better - though none of them is close to perfect.

- Andreas

P.S.
If there are more people interested in importing subtitles into FCPX drop me an email. If it's worth I will integrate an SRT import for XTI.

Some workflow tools for FCP [www.spherico.com]
TitleExchange -- juggle titles within FCS, FCPX and many other apps.
[www.spherico.com]
Re: Creating and importing subtitles for Fcp X
August 03, 2012 03:31AM
Thank you for that guidance Andreas.

I can that see that, for the time being, co-working on subs is not an easy thing with Fcp X.

I thing making it possible trough Title Exchange would be worth it.
Importing subtitles for FCP X
April 09, 2016 09:41AM
I was given two files: MXF and STL files.
I'm using FCPX 10.2.3 to work with.
How do I import the STL file so I can use it on FCPX to make the subtitles?

I tried to convert STL file using XTI and I'm getting "XML: non matching file type or not correctly formatted file!" message.

What I did wrong? Can somebody help? I'm not sure whether the STL file is text or binary file?
Re: Importing subtitles for FCP X
April 22, 2016 08:44PM
Try the latest version of XTI or use TEP to convert the STL to text STL.

- Andreas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics